Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Creating DD5.1 CD-R's (Read 3419 times) previous topic - next topic

Creating DD5.1 CD-R's

Hi,

Does anyone here know how to get DD5.1 CD-R's to play on a home theater system? I've made some discs using BeSweet but they don't play. Sometimes I hear absolutely nothing, other discs give some noise. I'm using a Sony DAV-S500. Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks,
Alvin

Creating DD5.1 CD-R's

Reply #1
You can treat the Dolby Digital Wave file as you would any other Stereo 44.1k 16-bit wave file for burning onto a CDR. The only thing to remember is to not alter anything on the file. That means no Wav Header changes or fades etc... You are dealing with compressed audio data not regular PCM audio.

The "Dolby Digital"™ CDR should be playable on most Home Theater systems. This will not work for Dolby Pro Logic only Dolby Digital receivers (Most Dolby Digital Receivers also play DTS). Each disc can hold up to 74 minutes of 5.l Dolby Digital (AC-3 format) surround audio.

Go to the CD-Audio recorder application of your choice and these stereo 44.1k sample rate-16-bit WAV files to create a standard red-book audio CD. I've used Roxio Easy CD Creator with no problems at all. Make sure you mark this as a DOLBY DIGITAL CD disc that's not for playback in an Audio-CD player, as the digital noise will be at full volume level and speaker damage could result.

Take the CDR-AC3 disc and play it back in any CD/DVD player that's hooked to a 5.1 Receiver with a Dolby Digital decoder. Turn the volume all the way down and gradually turn it up. There are still CD/DVD Player and Dolby Digital Receivers that won't see the CDR as compressed audio data but rather as PCM. If this is the case then you'll hear short bursts of white noise rather than music/sound. If you hear white noise then check your receiver connection, also what input is it using? It should be using a digital input (optical or coaxial RCA). If you are using the analog CD input then there's your problem.

But be aware that the AC-3 file on a DVD is recorded at 48 kHz. rather than the 44.1 kHz needed for playback from a CD player.

If you have a Home Theater System then make sure that your DVD Player can play your burned audio CDR's. If you don't know of if the manual doesn't show the CD-R or CD-RW on its labe go to http://www.dvdrhelp.com and see the specs. Also make sure that the DVD Player is connected to your Surround receiver via the digital output (TOS link optical or RCA Coaxial). If you don't know what this means you should read the manual that came with your system.

Some people use a CD Player with a digital output and have it connected to a Dolby Digital receiver. You need to be sure that your player plays your burned Audio CDRs.

NOTES: A desktop PC user will need a soundcard that has a certified digital-out (sometimes labeled “SPDIF”.)

for more info :
http://www.diatonis.com/downloads_dts_ac3.html
http://forums.3ivx.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/t...rum=15&topic=62

Creating DD5.1 CD-R's

Reply #2
Mine (made from Swedish Radio) worked fine on two of the four systems I tried. It did not work on one Home Theater in a Box nor on a cheap player I tried. It worked fine on two standalone players connected to my receiver. Also had no trouble switching between Red Book PCM, Dolby Digital, and DTS.

Another article on the subject is Burning for Surround.
"Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored."
—Aldous Huxley