Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: boombox and batteries.. (Read 2457 times) previous topic - next topic

boombox and batteries..

I'm thinking of buying a 'ghettoblaster' for the next upcomming summer..
Only problem I'm dealing with is the high cost of battery usage,
about 6 to 8 big ones are usualy needed. Then it will last about,
what, maybe 3 hours orso?

Isn't there a another way to get around this high cost buying these big batteries?
Anyone know a DIY connect a small accu to your boombox, small enough to
tape it in the battery compartment and off you go?

Like maybe a small rechargeable car-battery or something?

any help or suggestions on whether it's possible or not welcome,
I even heard people using small accus to power small amps for car use, or outdoor illegal DJ-party..

boombox and batteries..

Reply #1
I can think of quite a few solutions, I had the same situation some years ago where I hooked it up to my car battery.

Maybe a better question is how long do you want to run it on batteries for/ and do you have access to AC power/ car battery and for how long, etc, etc

The simplist solution i can think of is to use Rechargable Alkaline batteries, which are available at most places now - good trade off between power and useful life.

boombox and batteries..

Reply #2
It's probably a stupid idea of mine anyway.
even AA rechargeable penlite batteries can be quite expensive if
you want good ones, about $75 incl. 4 of them and recharger.
So what about them big ones.

A battery thats small enough to fit in a ghettoblaster battery-compartment
or at least can be taped down to the back or top of the ghettoblaster
won't be more durable than any other battery of same size
or them normal ones you have to use with these boxes. i guess.

don't what to call them btw. AAA? A?

boombox and batteries..

Reply #3
don't what to call them btw. AAA? A?

I think that the ones you mean are  D-Size, or MN1300.  Also known as 4050, AM1, E95, KD, LR20, and MONO.

[EDIT]
Seeing as you say that you're going to be using this in the summer, one solution might be to use rechargeable batteries (as TwoJ suggested) and a solar-powered battery charger.  The chargers aren't so expensive (£15 an up) but are probably fairly slow to fully recharge a set of batteries, and you'd probably need more than one as they usually only charge two of the larger (C-size and D-size) batteries at a time.

Another option might be to get a solar-powered 6V or 12V power-supply and wire that to the battery terminals, although this will obviously only be useful during the day.  You may well need more than one (connected in parallel) to provide enough current to drive the system.

I don't know where you get your rechargables, but $75 sounds like an awful lot for 4 x AA plus a charger.  I recently bought 4 x 2000mAH AA plus a fast-charger over here for about £16.

As for lead-acid batteries, a burglar-alarm or motorbike unit might fulfill your needs, but they are relatively heavy and although they are fairly small would still probably not fit inside the battery compartment of the boom-box.
[/EDIT]

Ma®k
GAT d-(+) s:- a+ C++$ UL P+ L+ E-- W+(-) N+ o K- w++(---) O- M V PS+ PE Y+ PGP++ t 5 X R++ tv b++ DI++ D G e++ h-- r++ y+++