Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: NeroVision Problems (Read 8053 times) previous topic - next topic

NeroVision Problems

Well i guess ill break the ice in this forum.

Im compiling a collection of shows encoded with Xvid onto a DVD using nerovision. Before the flaming starts, i know that nerovision is frowned upon in the serious transcoding community but its quick and dirty and i like it. Ive had great luck up to this point but now for some odd reason its decided to start crashing on me without any sort of error message or explanation.

It happens consistently when authoring the menu. I go into properties to select a nice still frame for the chapter/button and as soon as i close the dialog, nerovision just disappears entirely without so much as a beep. There is no trace of the process in the task manager. Running latest greatest updates from Ahead's site.

Is this a known issue that im the last to know about? Is this just a bug that i must accept, or am i completely missing something. I never had this problem before, it just appeared one day and after completely reinstalling the whole nero ultra edition suite it wont go away.

NeroVision Problems

Reply #1
Maybe the reason is in your XviDs? Did you change the XviD build or took some different (experimental) options in use?
Juha Laaksonheimo

NeroVision Problems

Reply #2
Just a small point, but doesn't DVD Transcoding refer to converting MPEG2 to lower bitrate MPEG2 without decoding the video (ie directly leaving out some of the DCT information)?

Is this forum indended for converting from one format into something DVD-compliant too?

NeroVision Problems

Reply #3
Just a small point, but doesn't DVD Transcoding refer to converting MPEG2 to lower bitrate MPEG2 without decoding the video (ie directly leaving out some of the DCT information)?

Is this forum indended for converting from one format into something DVD-compliant too?

For now yes. If there's need in the future, then I can create a new forum. Transcoding itself is pretty vague concept. In audio we talk about transcoding when converting from one codec to another. In DVD shrinking some dct values are tweaked or re-quantized, so it's called compressed domain transcoder, although the codec/format itself stays the same.
So I'm not sure if there's any official definition that DVD Transcoding==shrinking..
General concept is a different thing though, but I think this forum is fine for sphoid's message.

Edit. typo-o-matic
Juha Laaksonheimo

NeroVision Problems

Reply #4
General concept is a different thing though, but I think this forum is fine for spoon's message.

Just for future reference JohnV, im sphoid 

Anyways, that wont help me much since i didnt encode these files and atm i dont have access to the original sources. The reason that leads me to believe its more a bug with nerovision rather than my xvids is that im compiling a season of 21 episodes, i created disc 1 with episodes 1 - 13 without problem. Now when i try 14 - 21 this has started. When i go back and try to redo 1 - 13 now the problem occurs with them as well. Im pretty sure my xvid decoder is up to date.

NeroVision Problems

Reply #5
I too have had lots of trouble with Nero Vision, mainly because my menus are more than NV Express can handle since I do make my own backdrops and motion menus with Photoshop. I haven't decided on a package yet but NVE is out of the question.

I too did a compilation (svcd though) and used tmpgenc to "transcode" or rather "convert" the xvids to mpeg2, i.e. extract uncompressed wavs from the xvids with virtualdub (full processing) and use tmpgenc on xvid/wav to create the mpeg2 stream.

NVE didn't crash when I added those mpegs. It's no ideal "solution" more a "workaround". maybe that helps.

eke.

NeroVision Problems

Reply #6
Doesn't it perchance seem to be a general problem in Nerovision? I use it for editing some AVIs, which really becomes a nightmare sometimes.

A slightly extreme example: 1h MiniDV divided in 50+ chapters. In this case system gets temporarly blocked if I just move cursor to next minute an back again a couple of times. Also, RAM (512/DDR) is totally filled and stays like that for a while, even after regaining control over the editor.

According to Ahead FAQ this is a driver problem. But it didn't help updating both Catalyst, ActiveX and Bios. Is there anybody out there that has found the solution and could tell the world? World would be grateful.

Layman as I am, I thought that it might be an AGP issue. My video card is 8X but mobo only 4X. Is AGP of any importance for En-/Re-/Transcoding?

NeroVision Problems

Reply #7
In Nerovision Express when I try to convert .avi files and put them on a DVD the edges are cut off on every TV I've tested.  There are apparently 3 "frame sizes" and I want to use the second one, not the largest.  Setting the aspect ratio to 16:9 causes the opposite problem; there are black bands of wasted space on all 4 edges.  Isn't there some way to have the image the same size as the screen?  I must be doing something wrong; please help; any advice would be appreciated.

NeroVision Problems

Reply #8
The TV screen is actually larger than its visible area and that causes troubles.