Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Newbie question about digital music (Read 1683 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbie question about digital music

Hi,
I haven't been into digital music and have been content to play my CDs.  So I don't have a clue about digitizing, napster, etc.  However, with the help of this site, I'm in the process of moving my CDs to flac which is great so far.

I've been looking into iTunes, BuyMusic and Napster.  I thought if I buy a song/album through these sites, it is compressed audio and might not sound as good as the CD, but I'd have the same "control" of the song taking it from PC to PC to ipod or burn a CD.  Seems that isn't the case.

Some of the information I'm reading on the net and on the providers site is conflicting.  Is there a good site that isn't tied to one service and explains all the pros and cons of downloaded music?  From what I've been reading, downloading music from these services doesn't seem like a good deal at all.

When I buy a song through these services, is my song "tied" to my PC where I downloaded it?  If I change PCs, want to put the song on a hard drive or reformat my hard drive will I lose the ability to play the song?  Can I access it on another PC on my home network?  If I get the version where I can burn to a CD can that be loaded onto an MP3 player or another PC?

It seems like a much better deal to just order the CD and rip it.  Since these services are so successful I think I must be misunderstanding the DRM stuff.  TIA.

Regards-Michael G.