Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [OFFENSIVE] foobar2000 fanaticism: Thread split (Read 7603 times) previous topic - next topic

[OFFENSIVE] foobar2000 fanaticism: Thread split

*coughs* This is getting a little repetitive now, but foobar2000 does that too.  I'm not sure about the robustness of the

I'm not gonna use Foobar, if for no other reason than the fanaticism surounding it.  That alone is reason enough for sane people to stay away from it.  If it takes that much effort to try and talk people into using it, then I want nothing to do with it.

Besides, I'm not looking for a player too.  I was just looking for a nice simple compare tool.  Preferably a stand alone program, but if EAC can do it, then great.

Reply #1
Answering questions is not yet considered zealotry here, but comments like yours are definetly flaming.
Be nice to the people trying to help you.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #2
"I'm not gonna use Foobar, if for no other reason than the fanaticism surounding it. That alone is reason enough for sane people to stay away from it. If it takes that much effort to try and talk people into using it, then I want nothing to do with it."

A simple "No thanks, I'd rather use a stand-alone program for this." would have sufficed.  No thanks for your insight on "why you shouldn't use popular players".
In Case Of Bose, Break Glass
Flac yuo in teh ASIO!

Reply #3
I'm not gonna use Foobar, if for no other reason than the fanaticism surounding it.  That alone is reason enough for sane people to stay away from it.  If it takes that much effort to try and talk people into using it, then I want nothing to do with it.

There's no more fanaticism surrounding foobar than there is around any other media player.

It does happen to be the most popular player among users of this web board (check out http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=11317 ) and it does happen to have a lot of useful features that are not to be found in other players. These are the two main reasons why it is mentioned here so often.

Reply #4
well, honestly, i can understand him. I do have a tendency to boycott things which penetrantly are trying to make me use them *cough* flash, ms-ie, realplayer, major-record-labels, adds, mainstream-society - oh well, umm whatever

And yes, he IS right.... there is quite some zealotry surrounding fb2k.... but i think this has begun to be adressed in the previous days, and may change for the better.

oh dear - well, i got a new idea for my signature

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #5
I appologize for the comment about using Foobar, however that is my feeling about it.

I've been lurking here for more than 6 months (long before I ever registered to post) and it just seems like every answer to every question ends up being "use Foobar!"

After a while, constant responses like that get very old and you tend to not to want to hear about the program.  It doesn't matter if it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, mp3 and p2p all put together.  Some people just get tired of hearing about it.

And no, most other programs don't have quite the same level of fanaticism that I see about Foobar.  I read a lot more comments like "use Foobar!" than I do for any other program.

Anyway, I'm just sick & tired of hearing about foobar.

But yes, I suppose I could have phrased that original foobar reply a bit nicer.

Sorry.

Reply #6
Cey:

The problem is that:

1. fb2k is the most used player among users on this forum (which does NOT mean, that it has to be the right player for you)
2. fb2k is pretty much a swiss-army-knife.... there are actually VERY few things one cannot do with it (if you know how) - the result is that one of the possible solutions to a question is often foobar.
3. some zealotry/fanatism

add all those three things together, and it can become quite aggressive and annoying

- Lyx

Reply #7
Lyx summed it up quite well and while I don't see all that much zealotry surrounding fb2k, I'd like to see this thread to stay on-topic.

foobar2000 fanaticism/zealotry issues have been discussed to death recently, so if you really feel the urge to continue that discussion use one of the appropiate threads, otherwise this thread will be closed.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #8
No thanks for your insight on "why you shouldn't use popular players".

Popularity has nothing to do with being force-fed to use something.

And example: Windows is hugely popular. Still I rarely see people trying to force-feed it on others.

Linux, on the other hand, is moderately popular (not popular, if you compare it to Windows). Still, nerds are frequently trying to force-feed it on me and on others.

Reply #9
I've split this thread from Prog to compare wav files?.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #10
we recomend fb2k a lot cause all we use it here have found is perfect for "our" daily use, and think it could really help you too, is not cause peter is paying us money, or cause if not many people use it, it would be discontinued, in fact there is no gain from us if you use it, but as i said, we have found it so great at what it does, that we "recommend" it ... you can use what you want really ... it reminds me of a friend of mine that didn't wanted to use Windows Commander ... i said, ok, don't use it ... ask him now what file manager is he using  ...(hint: it aint windows EXPLORER) ...

Reply #11
Even though Cey didn't state his/(her) position very diplomatically, I do understand the sentiment.  I thought too, that a lot of newbie questions seemed to be dismissed with the "try foobar" pat answer.  I've since figured out that a lot of folks here simply like it better, and thats fine by me. I personally don't.  I do have it on my computer, and it does have some good features, but the bottom line for me is:  I use mp3 because thats what my external hardware supports.  I use Lame 3.90.3 with --alt-preset standard because thats what the folks here say is best.  And I use Winamp with Ozone simply because it sounds best on a good stereo.

I will, however, keep an eye on foobar, as I do QCD, XMPlay, and all others, for improvements.  When foobar sounds better, I'll switch to it.   

Dex

Reply #12
And example: Windows is hugely popular. Still I rarely see people trying to force-feed it on others.

Linux, on the other hand, is moderately popular (not popular, if you compare it to Windows). Still, nerds are frequently trying to force-feed it on me and on others.

actually, IMHO you've given an analogy which is a good example of the opposite

[put this is no wa vs fb2k flame disclaimer here]

compared to i.e. BeOS linux is very popular. So lets take your analogy:

Winamp is the mainstream player - the one i do think most do use. Windows is the mainstream OS.
Foobar is also popular but not as much as winamp, and its very linux-like. Similiar to linux, its the "runner-up", and similiar to linux, it can do things better than windows BUT its more difficult to setup and configure.

If i wouldn't be so sleepy, i'd put "History repeating" into my playlist now for perfect sarcasm *g*

- Lyx

*finally goes to bed now*

Reply #13
compared to i.e. BeOS linux is very popular. So lets take your analogy:

WTF! Who is talking about BeOS? I'm comparing Windows to Linux! And doing an analogy.

Winamp is the mainstream player - the one i do think most do use. Windows is the mainstream OS.
Foobar is also popular but not as much as winamp, and its very linux-like. Similiar to linux, its the "runner-up", and similiar to linux, it can do things better than windows BUT its more difficult to setup and configure.

OK, you are saying that, analogically, Foobar is better than Winamp but harder to configure. BTW, I didn't even mention winamp in my first post.

WTF does this have to do with popularity vs. having zealots trying to force their preferences on you???

actually, IMHO you've given an analogy which is a good example of the opposite

Might be, but I'm sure as hell that your post didn't help clarify this "opposite". Au contraire.

Blah