Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Using LAME with Windows Media Player 9? (Read 3163 times) previous topic - next topic

Using LAME with Windows Media Player 9?

There are various suggestions in the newsgroups that using a it may be possible to use a version of LAME with Windows Media Player 9.

For example

http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/mp3encode...ary/005424.html

refers to the ACM version.

I can find no ACM version and there are a few references alluding to memory problems in people who have tried it.

Why do this?

Well, my iPod won't play WMA files and the iRiver iHP-120 won't play AAC files.  In any case, LAME MP3 is said to be better than either, despite the claims of Microsoft and Apple.

Suggestions?

Reply #2
That's at 128k. I tend to use 192k at least. Do the results still hold?

Reply #3
That's at 128k. I tend to use 192k at least. Do the results still hold?

If you use the ACM codec (which, to my knowledge, only allows usage of the default, non-optimised GPSYCHO settings) at 192kbps CBR, then they most certainly do. I don't know the first thing about WMA, but AAC should definitely outperform the standard LAME settings at any bitrate. However, if you compare them to LAME's highly tuned VBR settings which operate roughly in that bitrate range (--alt-preset standard), then LAME could very well come out on top.

Reply #4
Didn’t he actually ask if it was possible to use WMP to encode with LAME? I'd say no. However, I'm surprised rjamorim didn't suggest him "Cdex". So, just use Cdex as your ripper! It already comes with LAME, is free and easy to use
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'