Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_shuffle (Read 118089 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_shuffle

Reply #200
I'd like a way to somehow tell the plugin something like "play tracks with rating higher than 3". Would that be possible to implement?

foo_shuffle

Reply #201
Probably the best solution is to generate a playlist (top rated) which contains all songs with rating higher than 3. Haven't tried yet but I think it's possible.

The problem is that such playlist would't be dynamic. I think I read some discussion about in the Playlist generator topic.

foo_shuffle

Reply #202
Yes I know that and that's what I currently do. What I meant was that it would be cool to make the rule set more flexible.

foo_shuffle

Reply #205
I saw this question asked before, but never saw an answer for it...  I have a "Greatest Hits" album by about 5 different artists.  When I use Shuffle Album 2 it plays all the track 1's then all the track 2's, etc.  Is there anyway to set this to album within artist?

Thanks

foo_shuffle

Reply #206
A request for "shuffle album 2":

When determining which tracks belong to one album, the plugin should make sure the artist is identical, except when "album artist" is defined.

To summarize: if ALBUM ARTIST is set, album key = ALBUM, else album key = ARTIST + ALBUM.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254771"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This sounds useful, but...

This method may still have issues that I haven't thought of yet, and I guess it's possible not everybody has their tags set up this way, so maybe you can make this "extended" method optional?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254771"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, there would be issues, so it would be best to make it optional. For one, I can think of several game soundtracks where random tracks will have different artist credits.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255287"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't really play any game soundtracks with foobar2000 myself, but I don't see the problem here. Wouldn't this simply be a "various artists" album? So ALBUM ARTIST should be set to "Various Artists", and shuffle album 2 would only use the album title to define the album. I've never seen two different VA albums with the same name.

Can you give me a practical example of where this would fail?
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

foo_shuffle

Reply #207
A request for "shuffle album 2":

When determining which tracks belong to one album, the plugin should make sure the artist is identical, except when "album artist" is defined.

To summarize: if ALBUM ARTIST is set, album key = ALBUM, else album key = ARTIST + ALBUM.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254771"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This sounds useful, but...

This method may still have issues that I haven't thought of yet, and I guess it's possible not everybody has their tags set up this way, so maybe you can make this "extended" method optional?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254771"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, there would be issues, so it would be best to make it optional. For one, I can think of several game soundtracks where random tracks will have different artist credits.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255287"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't really play any game soundtracks with foobar2000 myself, but I don't see the problem here. Wouldn't this simply be a "various artists" album? So ALBUM ARTIST should be set to "Various Artists", and shuffle album 2 would only use the album title to define the album. I've never seen two different VA albums with the same name.

Can you give me a practical example of where this would fail?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255624"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Another option could be to be able to define albums by the directory setup (or assume that each folder is a album).  For example I have all of my music stored in folders by type/artist/album.  If there was an option to shuffle by directory that would be perfect.  As an example, check out the Album List plugin for Winamp (http://sourceforge.net/projects/albumlist/) this does a little more than just shuffle, but the shuffle option in it works very well...  Just a thought. 

Thanks for the great plugin!

foo_shuffle

Reply #208
I saw this question asked before, but never saw an answer for it...  I have a "Greatest Hits" album by about 5 different artists.  When I use Shuffle Album 2 it plays all the track 1's then all the track 2's, etc.  Is there anyway to set this to album within artist?

Thanks
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255571"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've just run into this same problem, but with a different instance.  I'm shuffling by album, and I have two discs with the same Album title (Eldorado, one by Electric Light Orchestra and the other by Patrick O'Hearn).  Playback alternates between each album as described by tberman333 (all track ones, then track twos, etc.).

Any known workaround?

Thx

foo_shuffle

Reply #209
Maybe adding an "album grouping pattern" entry in config, like the one the replaygain scanner uses, would be a good solution to this album problem?

foo_shuffle

Reply #210
I have this odd problem with doubledisc various artists albums...
I got a few albums tagged like so:

Disc: either name (ie: twilight to starlight) or number.
No disc info in the album tag!

When using shuffle album tag 2, I would like the songs to go through all the discs on one album, one disc at a time, which happens on albums (1: one artists albums with discnumbers, 2: one artist albums with discnames and 3: various artists album with discnumbers) however, it never works with various artists albums with a name DISC-tag.

The playlist in itself is ordered just the way i want them to play. why is this?
Om jag var söt som jocke thå,
skulle du tycka om mig då?

foo_shuffle

Reply #211
I'd like a way to somehow tell the plugin something like "play tracks with rating higher than 3". Would that be possible to implement?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255308"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd also like to see something like this.  I remember being briefly tempted by iTunes because it has a feature called "Party Mix" that does just this.

It could even be something for a Tag Set, as has been mentioned before.  But as of right now, the shuffle by tag set would only allow for using the same rating or a different rating.  What would be nice would be to give it a list of the ratings which must be present to be played (e.g. 3-5).

foo_shuffle

Reply #212
I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this...

First, I'm a big fan of foo_shuffle, but I'm using Xlobby with Foobar, and Xlobby
implements its own Random mode.  I'd like to take advantage of foo_shuffle
within Xlobby.  This requires some modification to the Xlobby foobar component,
something I might try if the author doesn't mind too much.

What I need to know is, if I'm using foo_shuffle, is there a way for another
component to determine what the next track will be?  The "Next Track" feature
seems to be a stand-by in all Xlobby skins, and I don't want to lose this.  If
this is not currently possible, is there any chance it could be added?

Any help is most appreciated.
erikt

foo_shuffle

Reply #213
Well, I got tired of waiting for kode54 or somebody else to modify foo_shuffle so it works properly with the "best of/greatest hits" albums in shuffle album 2 mode, so I did it myself. 

You can dowload my modified foo_shuffle here.

A couple of important points:
1. It was built with Visual Studio.NET 2003, so it's possible you need to download some additional DLLs to make this work (msvcr71.dll, msvcp71.dll, whatever, ...)  You should be able to get them here.
2. This is the first time I've ever done any development for foobar2000. So, even though my modifications are quite simple, it's still possible that I made some mistakes that will blow up something else. Please backup your original foo_shuffle (and report any problems)!
If you want to check my changes, you can download my modified shuffle.cpp here and use your favorite diff/merge tool to compare it to kode54's original file (link).
3. The test for determining whether two songs belong to the same album is not configurable. This is simply a hardcoded implementation of the rule I mentioned earlier in this thread:
if ALBUM ARTIST is set, album key = ALBUM, else album key = ARTIST + ALBUM

It would probably be better if it were configurable (e.g. with the album grouping pattern upNorth mentioned). Maybe that's something for a future version (but I'd also like to implement a "next album" command when I find time).

Edit: It goes without saying that if you don't use shuffle album 2 or are not affected by this "best of/greatest hits" issue, you should of course stick with kode54's original version to be safe.

foo_shuffle

Reply #214
PoisonDan - I tried to install your updated version and am still having prolems with albums with the same name (Best of, Greates Hits and others).  Is there anything special that needs to be done to make this work right (I have the dll's mentioned installed)?

foo_shuffle

Reply #215
PoisonDan - I tried to install your updated version and am still having prolems with albums with the same name (Best of, Greates Hits and others).  Is there anything special that needs to be done to make this work right (I have the dll's mentioned installed)?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=265936"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So you replaced your foo_shuffle.dll with my version?

Is the "ALBUM ARTIST" tag filled in for those albums? If it is, with what value?

Keep in mind that my version uses the "old" behaviour with albums that have the "ALBUM ARTIST" tag filled in.

foo_shuffle

Reply #216
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=265936"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So you replaced your foo_shuffle.dll with my version?

Is the "ALBUM ARTIST" tag filled in for those albums? If it is, with what value?

Keep in mind that my version uses the "old" behaviour with albums that have the "ALBUM ARTIST" tag filled in.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=265983"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ahhh... I don't have a Tag called "Album Artist"  An example of the way one of the tracks is tagged is:

TITLE = Dream On
TRACKNUMBER = 1
ARTIST = Aerosmith
GENRE = Rock/Pop
ALBUM = Greatest Hits

After that song plays it will skip to:

TITLE = Your Song
TRACKNUMBER = 1
ARTIST = Elton John
GENRE = Rock/Pop
ALBUM = Greatest Hits

I wish I new how to code, but is there anyway you can make it shuffle based on directory?  So it plays all the track in the path "Albums/Aerosmith/Greatest Hits" then when it plays the last track in that folder it plays all the tracks in "Albums/Led Zepplin/Houses of the Holy" etc.?

If not and you can fix the above that would be great... This is the one feature I have in WinAmp from a plug-in that I can't find with foobar!

Thanks for making the effort with this pluggin!

foo_shuffle

Reply #217
I wish I new how to code, but is there anyway you can make it shuffle based on directory?  So it plays all the track in the path "Albums/Aerosmith/Greatest Hits" then when it plays the last track in that folder it plays all the tracks in "Albums/Led Zepplin/Houses of the Holy" etc.?

open liked for you folders and play with repeat order :-/
WBR,  Vitaliy I. Bogdanets
Foobar2000 - The way it's meant to be played

foo_shuffle

Reply #218

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=266316"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't understand what you mean? 

foo_shuffle

Reply #219

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=266316"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't understand what you mean? 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=266346"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I mean: you add to playlist song(albums) what you want, and plpay then in repeat order. what's the difference? play few albums(by turns) in shuffle or repeat order.

PS: sorry for my English
WBR,  Vitaliy I. Bogdanets
Foobar2000 - The way it's meant to be played

foo_shuffle

Reply #220
Ahhh... I don't have a Tag called "Album Artist"  An example of the way one of the tracks is tagged is:

TITLE = Dream On
TRACKNUMBER = 1
ARTIST = Aerosmith
GENRE = Rock/Pop
ALBUM = Greatest Hits

TITLE = Your Song
TRACKNUMBER = 1
ARTIST = Elton John
GENRE = Rock/Pop
ALBUM = Greatest Hits
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=266192"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, that's the way the tags should be set up. Maybe you misunderstood my previous post: when you use "Album Artist", foo_shuffle uses the old algorithm from kode54, and when you don't have this tag, it will use my modification.

So it's a good thing that you don't have "Album Artist" set. In fact, your tagging setup looks identical to mine. So right now I can't explain why it doesn't work for you.

I'll have to think about it a bit... I'll probably PM you soon...

foo_shuffle

Reply #221

TITLE = Dream On
TRACKNUMBER = 1
ARTIST = Aerosmith
GENRE = Rock/Pop
ALBUM = Greatest Hits

TITLE = Your Song
TRACKNUMBER = 1
ARTIST = Elton John
GENRE = Rock/Pop
ALBUM = Greatest Hits
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=266192"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, that's the way the tags should be set up. Maybe you misunderstood my previous post: when you use "Album Artist", foo_shuffle uses the old algorithm from kode54, and when you don't have this tag, it will use my modification.

So it's a good thing that you don't have "Album Artist" set. In fact, your tagging setup looks identical to mine. So right now I can't explain why it doesn't work for you.

I'll have to think about it a bit... I'll probably PM you soon...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=266495"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is fine... I think I am just going to change my tags so no albums have the same name... So I will make the album name "Aerosmith's Greatest Hits" and "Elton John's Greatest Hits".  This should solve my problem.

Thanks for your help though!

foo_shuffle

Reply #222
If anyone else has the problems I was having... I nuked my database and brought everything back in... once I did that the updated pluggin worked.

foo_shuffle

Reply #223
Love the update, thanks for doing this. One suggestion tho, would it be possible to select or deselect shuffle album 2 from playing say disc 1 then disc 2.

I personally prefer to listen to only 1 disc at a time, especially when it comes to the 4+ disc collections. Usually i have to use the shuffle tag set, but the problem with that is, how do i get it to play the albums in order like shuffle album 2 does?

foo_shuffle

Reply #224
I suppose I could do this. Of course, shuffle is an order mode, not an action. I could make it toggle between Shuffle and Default, but now that there are more shuffle order modes....

I could reduce all shuffle modes down to a single order item and add a behavior selection to preferences, but this will complicate matters with 3rd party software accessing and changing the order. [...]
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=145170"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can see that there isn't much development on this plugin anymore, but I'll post nonetheless. Would it be very difficult to add a function to toggle through the shuffle modes? As I see it shuffle is a core feature of a music player. I like to have global hotkeys for the core functions, and I can't devote more than one key to shuffle.

I haven't done any plugin development myself, though I do know C and Java well. Could anyone more knowledgeable get me started on adding this feature (ie documents, some hints, anything that might help).

Does the plugin explicitly add items to the Actions list in the Keyboard Shortcuts preference, or does the Actions list just pick up every menu item elsewhere in the program? I assume the former. It seems like if I knew how to add an item to the Actions list and tie it to a function in the plugin it would be simple to add a function to foo_shuffle.dll that switches the mode. Is this how this stuff works or am I completely off? Where can I read up?