Skip to main content

Topic: New tuned encoder (Read 11233 times) previous topic - next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
  • Garf
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
New tuned encoder
I've uploaded a new version of my tuned Ogg encoder.

New
-----

- Fixes 'nominal bitrate=999' issue in 160kbps mode
- tuned 350 kbps mode
- 'sortof' tuned 128kbps mode

http://sjeng.org/ftp/vorbis/oggdropgt2.exe

I'll put out a Linux tarball (and perhaps an oggenc) when I have more time.

--
GCP

  • PatchWorKs
  • [*][*][*][*]
New tuned encoder
Reply #1
...tune OGG for 40-48 Kbps (32KHz, mono).
Thanks

  • lucpes
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
New tuned encoder
Reply #2
We're getting close to RC3?

What I'd like to hear is if ogg compares to mpc at around 170, 180 VBR ...

I know it's better than anything  at lower bitrates, but how does it compete against mpc above 160kbps VBR?

  • Garf
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
New tuned encoder
Reply #3
Quote
Originally posted by PatchWorKs
...tune OGG for 40-48 Kbps (32KHz, mono).
Thanks


I think RC2 actually already includes such a mode by default, but I don't know if it's enabled in the actual encoder.

When I tested it, 48kbps 32kHz stereo sounded pretty good, keeping in mind it was 48kbps.

48kbps 32kHz mono should be no problem. Doesn't the standard RC2 encoder have it?

--
GCP

  • Garf
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
New tuned encoder
Reply #4
Quote
Originally posted by lucpes
We're getting close to RC3?


I think so, although my tuned modes are still based on RC2 + some fixes. RC3 incorporates some of the improvements in the tuned modes into the default encoder.

Quote
What I'd like to hear is if ogg compares to mpc at around 170, 180 VBR ...

I know it's better than anything  at lower bitrates, but how does it compete against mpc above 160kbps VBR?


The tuned 160kbps VBR mode is an attempt to provide an alternative to MPC. It doesn't get the same quality level as MPC does at that bitrate, but it's still pretty good. Beating MPC at it's forte will be hard.

--
GCP

  • lucpes
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
New tuned encoder
Reply #5
Thanks for the quick answers... anyway I must say that the builds that have 128kbps limit beat r3mix mp3s...

Good thing that they're limited, 'cause I would start using them instead of mpc... this way I'll have to wait until rc3.

New tuned encoder
Reply #6
and again the same question
could you compile an oggenc.exe with the new tweaks?

  • PatchWorKs
  • [*][*][*][*]
New tuned encoder
Reply #7
Quote
Originally posted by Garf


I think RC2 actually already includes such a mode by default, but I don't know if it's enabled in the actual encoder.


True, but the encoder (OggEnc v0.8) says: "... the encoder is only tuned for rates of 44.1 and 48 kHz and while other rates will be accepted quality will be significantly degraded."


When I tested it, 48kbps 32kHz stereo sounded pretty good, keeping in mind it was 48kbps. 48kbps 32kHz mono should be no problem.


I have encoded the same wav file (32KHz, mono) through dbpoweramp and was successfull.

Doesn't the standard RC2 encoder have it?

dbpoweramp uses rc2, so the answer is yes.
I change the question in other way:
]i can encode at any KHz/Chans/Bits for sure, but i really want know which of them are more tuned... thanks
  • Last Edit: 08 November, 2002, 12:29:30 AM by Dibrom

  • Garf
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
New tuned encoder
Reply #8
Quote
Originally posted by Benjamin Lebsanft
and again the same question
could you compile an oggenc.exe with the new tweaks?


Done. It's up on http://sjeng.org/ftp/vorbis

--
GCP

  • Garf
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
New tuned encoder
Reply #9
Quote
Originally posted by PatchWorKs
True, but the encoder (OggEnc v0.8) says: "... the encoder is only tuned for rates of 44.1 and 48 kHz and while other rates will be accepted quality will be significantly degraded."

[...]

i can encode at any KHz/Chans/Bits for sure, but i really want know which of them are more tuned... thanks


The 'only tuned for 44.1/48khz' warning is outdated I think.

Edit: Segher corrected me on this. The encoder is really tuned for 44.1/48khz audio right now. Although lower sampling rates may usually work fine, they will be sensitive to preecho issues and such.

--
GCP

New tuned encoder
Reply #10
Thx Garf

  • elfin
  • [*]
New tuned encoder
Reply #11
It seems to me, that in 350 kbps mode there is the 19 kHz lowpass. Must it be at that high bitrate?

How does Vorbis compare to MPC at 256 - 350 kbps modes?

  • Garf
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
New tuned encoder
Reply #12
Quote
Originally posted by elfin
It seems to me, that in 350 kbps mode there is the 19 kHz lowpass. Must it be at that high bitrate?


There is no lowpass. It's just that the ATH+masking decides that most of those sounds aren't audible. That's what psychoacoustic compression is all about...

Edit: I checked, and my mode does really encode up to 20kHz if needed, and very sometimes even above that...

--
GCP

  • elfin
  • [*]
New tuned encoder
Reply #13
Quote
Originally posted by Garf


There is no lowpass. It's just that the ATH+masking decides that most of those sounds aren't audible. That's what psychoacoustic compression is all about...

-- 
GCP


Isn't  the ATH+masking just a little too aggressive at such a high bitrate?

How about adding a switch to manipulate ATH & masking threshold?

  • Garf
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
New tuned encoder
Reply #14
Quote
Originally posted by elfin

Isn't  the ATH+masking just a little too aggressive at such a high bitrate?


Unless you come up with a clip that you can positively ABX because of a lack of HF, the answer is no.

--
GCP

  • elfin
  • [*]
New tuned encoder
Reply #15
Quote
Originally posted by Garf


Unless you come up with a clip that you can positively ABX because of a lack of HF, the answer is no.

-- 
GCP


Though I have a pair of elven[/b] ears, a HQ amp and my loudspeakers weighing 90 kg,  I can't ABX at that bitrate.


  • Corsair
  • [*]
New tuned encoder
Reply #16
How does Vorbis compare to MPC at 256 - 350 kbps modes?

Modes b256 and b350 in RC2 still have some issues, pre-echo mostly. But Garf's tuned b350 really rocks - I tested it with several hard-to-encode test cases, like castanets and fatboy, and there's no pre-echo at all. Actually, I can't find a sample that has artifacts. The bitrate is roughly 300-350kbps, depending on the material you're encoding. I get around ~320kbps for most rock/metal stuff. I think this mode is very high quality and can be used for archiving. Since MPC is also transparent at these bitrates, I think there's no difference between Vorbis (i.e. Garf's tuned b350 mode) and MPC in 300+ kbps range. Definitely better then MP3 with same bitrate.

Great job, Garf. I'm very happy with your tuned -b350 mode

  • niktheblak
  • [*][*][*][*]
  • Members (Donating)
New tuned encoder
Reply #17
Heck, I even refuse to ABX the 160 kb/s mode. Absolutely too transparent.

Short while ago I whined about rc2's 160kb/s mode sounding horrible at this certain Test Clip, in fact worse than 128kb/s mp3.

Now what is really disturbing here is that the official rc2 oggenc @ 160 tries to maim my Official Test Clip in to a 179kb/s package.
GTuned2 manages to bring peace of mind and smooth harmony at 164kb/s. Serious progress here!

OGG rules

Thanks Garf!

  • ChristianHJW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
New tuned encoder
Reply #18
Quote
Originally posted by elfin
[B9Though I have a pair of elven ears, a HQ amp and my loudspeakers weighing 90 kg,  I can't ABX at that bitrate.


Outing myself : Mine weigh 65 kg each, tube/MOSFET amp, but i simply refuse to torture them with compressed music, even 24/96 is not good enough for my precious music IMHO ...

Compression, whatsoever kind, is good for my soundtracks in my DivX movies, but thats it    ....
Support matroska - the bestest vapourware project ! http://www.matroska.org

  • elfin
  • [*]
New tuned encoder
Reply #19
Quote
Originally posted by ChristianHJW


Mine weigh 65 kg each, tube/MOSFET amp, but i simply refuse to torture them with compressed music, even 24/96 is not good enough for my precious music IMHO ...

Compression, whatsoever kind, is good for my soundtracks in my DivX movies, but thats it   ....



So what do you listen to? Live music only?

My loudspeakers are my own design, made after studying the loudspeaker design theory. None of the retail loudspeakers were good enough. Not even the expensive ones, which I could not afford anyway.

Now aren't we off topic? Sorry 

New tuned encoder
Reply #20
to get back to the topic
as it is always me, Garf could you compile an oggenc.exe with the rc 2.9 release ??

  • Garf
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
New tuned encoder
Reply #21
Quote
Originally posted by Benjamin Lebsanft
to get back to the topic
as it is always me, Garf could you compile an oggenc.exe with the rc 2.9 release ??


That 'RC2.9' is a special version I did for the BBC.

It takes in 32kHz 16bit stereo and puts out 48kbps files, suitable for streaming over a modem.

You really want _that_ ?

--
GCP

New tuned encoder
Reply #22
ok, not really  I'll stick with the gt2 version

  • jianxin yan
  • [*][*]
  • Developer
New tuned encoder
Reply #23
hi garf.
in rc2, if not a wavelet or wavelet package transform is used?

if used, how deal with blocks connection between mdct and wavelet ?


regards.

  • PatchWorKs
  • [*][*][*][*]
New tuned encoder
Reply #24
Quote
Originally posted by Garf


That 'RC2.9' is a special version I did for the BBC.

It takes in 32kHz 16bit stereo and puts out 48kbps files, suitable for streaming over a modem.

You really want _that_ ?

-- 
GCP


YYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS !!! I REALLY WANT IT
I need 32 kHz, 16 bit, mono please (bitrate: min 32 - max 48 - average 40 kbps)...

Tnx