Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 8.5GB DVD+R (Read 3926 times) previous topic - next topic

8.5GB DVD+R

Reply #1
And I was going to buy a DVD burner this month.  I guess I'm waiting for this now... or maybe I should wait for Blue Ray DVD burners, that'll be a while away though.

8.5GB DVD+R

Reply #2
And I just got mine last month when I thought that waiting for this kind of thing to happen would be useless.

On the other hand, if you read through the whole thing, it seems it is still on a very experimental stage. Hardware compatability --specially with standalones-- remains a very large question sign.

And they also mention something about "current hardware" used. So maybe a FW upgrade could enable some current drive to write this kinda DVDs?

Still a lot of questions, but good news nonetheless...
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

8.5GB DVD+R

Reply #3
well it seems as though Philips has figured out a dual layer DVD+R disc/recorder...cool man, cool. Hip.

http://www.dvdrw.com/press/duallayer.htm

Imagine how long it will take to record such a disc... I don't own a DVD Recorder but I been told a full disc does take longer than standard CD-R. What about the fragility of the disc if it was dual layer? If it all works then I wouldn't mind a 8.5GB DVD+R LoL backups made easy!!

Regards

AgentMil
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

8.5GB DVD+R

Reply #4
well it seems as though Philips has figured out a dual layer DVD+R disc/recorder...cool man, cool. Hip.

http://www.dvdrw.com/press/duallayer.htm

Imagine how long it will take to record such a disc... I don't own a DVD Recorder but I been told a full disc does take longer than standard CD-R. What about the fragility of the disc if it was dual layer? If it all works then I wouldn't mind a 8.5GB DVD+R LoL backups made easy!!

Regards

AgentMil

Well, in the mentioned document and also on DVD related sites (such as CDFreaks and Doom9) a 2.4X recording speed has been mentioned. This would mean up to 1 hour recording time (maybe 15 minutes less).

DVD backups take long to be made these days, it is nowhere near the speed of CD backups. But, unless you are running some kind of factory you can still find just enough time in any day for the average copying needs.

Fragility? I would think they would be no-less sturdier than the average DVD recordables. Have you actually seen one of those? They are somewhat funny looking because they are actually TWO slim discs glued together.
DVD rot could be a problem, though.

8.5GB DVD+R

Reply #5
Well, in the mentioned document and also on DVD related sites (such as CDFreaks and Doom9) a 2.4X recording speed has been mentioned. This would mean up to 1 hour recording time (maybe 15 minutes less).

DVD backups take long to be made these days, it is nowhere near the speed of CD backups. But, unless you are running some kind of factory you can still find just enough time in any day for the average copying needs.

Fragility? I would think they would be no-less sturdier than the average DVD recordables. Have you actually seen one of those? They are somewhat funny looking because they are actually TWO slim discs glued together.
DVD rot could be a problem, though.

I should be reading these links shouldn't I....  too lazy. But yeah at the end of the day type of backup (depends at the end of the day I play games  ).

That would be a problem... but I guess it depends on what sort of adhesive they used to get them stuck together. I ain't an expert on this though I just read... I think Pio2001 is the expert CD-R/DVD-R resident on this board.

Regards

AgentMil
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

8.5GB DVD+R

Reply #6
how aggravating. All this time ive been reading that consumer dvd-9 is nothing more than a pipe dream so ive had my eye on the new plextor 8x dvd+r. I would definately wait but it sounds like it wont hit the market for another year so ill just view it as an upgrade when it comes out. Anyone hear anything more solid on a release date by philips?

8.5GB DVD+R

Reply #7
since the beginning dvds have been two discs glued together, at least for double-sided ones this has always been true, so it's nothing new and nothing to worry about

8.5GB DVD+R

Reply #8
since the beginning dvds have been two discs glued together, at least for double-sided ones this has always been true, so it's nothing new and nothing to worry about

Yes, that's what I meant.
Maybe I couldn't explain myself in a good way in english (this is kinda happening more often to me).
Since the beginning DVD-R have been two discs, that's why it is not possible to compare them to CD-R in terms of durability and resilience. They could last longer (likely) or they could die faster.
We have seen how misleading the calculations of CD-R "life" were.
On topic, I am guessing that DVD life will be diminished on this dual-layer recordables.