Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New to mpc...where do I start? (Read 9435 times) previous topic - next topic

New to mpc...where do I start?

Reply #25
I am a musician of 24 years, a professional musician of 14 years. I  play and listen to many forms of expression and I, too, am critical when it comes to music.  Knowing that we're dealing with compression and music together, I afforded the compression schemes some leniency when I used to use Lame.  However, with MPC, I feel I don't have to, or not as much as before.  In all my 800+ cds I've only had an audible acoustical problem from MPC about 5 times.  One of those was a blatant encoding glitch that I missed halfway through the song when I was checking the finished encoded files.  The other times the resulting files just didn't sound as close to the originals as I've come to expect from MPC.  Nevertheless, I still use MPC and recommend it highly because I can live with that level of success rate.

I forgot to mention,  I have used the Insane setting from day one and don't have the problems reported by others here. My ears are healthy and very well kept(earplugs at concerts, etc).

Reply #26
What is the best setting for mpc batch encoder to achieve the best quality?

this is a dangerous question to ask...as the musepack format can theoretically achieve bitrates higher than 1000kbps [1 mb]

i see no need in any situation to pass:

--insane --nmt 16 --tmn 32

that is generally considered the "reasonable ceiling"

I forgot to mention, I have used the Insane setting from day one and don't have the problems reported by others here. My ears are healthy and very well kept(earplugs at concerts, etc).

if you aren't using the insane setting for the primary reason of encoding the entire bandwidth [much of which you cannot ever hear, even with perfect hearing] then i suggest you use a different commandline or profile.

the braindead ["--braindead"] profile was designed to show that the insane profile was not the greatest quality that musepack could achieve at the average bitrate of insane....

i would say more...but just go to the musepack page at http://xmixahlx.cjb.net if you want to know more.

later
mike

Reply #27
I'm new to mpc too, recently I encoded some wavs with the Xtreme profile and I must say, it sounds really good! I got a question:

So does this setting provide better quality than just regular --insane? Does it use more bitrate? Or did I get it the other way round?

Reply #28
Originally posted by Shiki

So does this setting provide better quality than just regular --insane? Does it use more bitrate?
Yes and yes.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #29
Hello everybody!
Where can I read some easy stuffs about MPC's presets wrote by MPC's creators (it seems to me that no one really knows which presets are really usefull so maybe "Frank & Co" do)

Reply #31
Originally posted by anubis
Hello everybody!
Where can I read some easy stuffs about MPC's presets wrote by MPC's creators (it seems to me that no one really knows which presets are really usefull so maybe "Frank & Co" do)

Right here: Buschel's page:

"...Will the "-standard"-profile do for encoding or should I use "-xtreme" or even "-insane"?

The encoder was tested intensively and optimized in "-standard"-profile, the default setting. In this mode the quality of the encoded tracks reaches - despite the profile's naming - very high level!
The next profile "-xtreme" uses slightly modified parameters to lower the quantization noise further below the masking threshold - it offers even more headroom.
For the "-insane"-profile the parameters are tweaked heavily. Using this mode will store the full bandwidth of the input signal and lead to much higher bitrates than "-standard" or "-xtreme" need. The storage of full bandwidth is not based on psychoacoustic reasons - it was implemented at some users desire.
Summarization: When using "-standard"-profile you will get high quality audio-files. If you want to push it a bit further use "-xtreme". The use of "-insane" is not necessary in general."

Visit my site as well:  quick gide for beginners

Cheers!

/kdo

Reply #32
--braindead --ltq_gain -12 --minSMR 3 --ltq_max 65 --nmt 16 --tmn 32 --ans 0") could very well be the best encoding line. Would anyone care to dispute and tell us why you disagree? Thanks Jeff

Reply #33
Originally posted by jjarmak
--braindead --ltq_gain -12 --minSMR 3 --ltq_max 65 --nmt 16 --tmn 32 --ans 0") could very well be the best encoding line. Would anyone care to dispute and tell us why you disagree? Thanks Jeff

Best line is --verbose --verbose . Bitrate is really low and quality really high.

Reply #34
I would call that line an exaggerated overkill. But I'm no expert in MPC, so feel free to bash my opinion.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #35
Xtrem is very good for sure but is it good enough for perfect transcoding? MPC will maybe have a short lifetime. Would "braindead" be a better choice or is it actually useless?
Thanks.:confused:

Reply #36
Originally posted by anubis
Xtrem is very good for sure but is it good enough for perfect transcoding? MPC will maybe have a short lifetime. Would "braindead" be a better choice or is it actually useless?
Thanks.:confused:

With the proliferation of cheap hard drive space (e.g. Dell was selling a 120GB 7200rpm drive with 8MB cache for ~$140 last week), you could use --braindead if you want to transcode later on. For first generation listening, however, --xtreme is generally acceptable over 99% of the time.