Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: BUG - Reading Tags forever (Read 1744 times) previous topic - next topic

BUG - Reading Tags forever

I am trying to move from Facets to ReFacets.
The UI is very simple

Playlist Manager on left       ReFacets middle top          Playlist View on right

Playlist View on bottom

I have quite a large library.
I added a new album and I see in the Media Library
Indexing files...
Reading tags...

That's it.
12 hours nothing happens and the new album is not there.

I opened my previous UI using Facets and it appears almost instantly.

Re: BUG - Reading Tags forever

Reply #2
This bug report is very light on details. No even information about foobar2000 version, not to mention any details about what the media library that gets stuck contains.

Please try following the steps Peter outlined here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,125188.msg1036679.html#msg1036679

Reply #3
I've update from 2.0 to 2.1 and not from 1.6
Same music library.
I found the problem and it looks like a bug in the Tags processing.
The Artist name was: Maya Dunietz\\David Lemoine\\Amir Bresler\\Barak Mori
I changed it to: Maya Dunietz, David Lemoine, Amir Bresler, Barak Mori
Now it works.
Go figure that a double backslash would case it.

Reply #4
If there is a bug in foobar2000 or some component with tag reading, it would be very nice if you helped the bug get fixed.

What file format was the file that managed to get itself stuck with the tags you mentioned? What program did you use to alter the tags to cause the issue and to repair it? Sharing a sample of misbehaving file would be ideal, but perhaps just having this info will be enough.

Reply #5
If there is a bug in foobar2000 or some component with tag reading, it would be very nice if you helped the bug get fixed.

What file format was the file that managed to get itself stuck with the tags you mentioned? What program did you use to alter the tags to cause the issue and to repair it? Sharing a sample of misbehaving file would be ideal, but perhaps just having this info will be enough.

The tags came from CDDB and the file format was FLAC.
I used Mp3tag to fix the issue.
I think that adding any new file with this ill-behaved tag as Artist and Album Artist will cause the issue to reproduce.

Reply #6
Well, tagging a random FLAC album with the artist field you mentioned causes absolutely no problems for foobar's tag reader.

If you tag a FLAC album with that string in foobar2000 it will literally mean that artist is "Maya Dunietz\\David Lemoine\\Amir Bresler\\Barak Mori".

If you however used Mp3tag to view or add that field it means there are multiple artists, "Maya Dunietz", "David Lemoine", "Amir Bresler" and "Barak Mori".

Neither format, the literal string with "\\" between the names or multiple artists is an issue. The freezing was caused by something else.

Reply #7
Well, tagging a random FLAC album with the artist field you mentioned causes absolutely no problems for foobar's tag reader.

If you tag a FLAC album with that string in foobar2000 it will literally mean that artist is "Maya Dunietz\\David Lemoine\\Amir Bresler\\Barak Mori".

If you however used Mp3tag to view or add that field it means there are multiple artists, "Maya Dunietz", "David Lemoine", "Amir Bresler" and "Barak Mori".

Neither format, the literal string with "\\" between the names or multiple artists is an issue. The freezing was caused by something else.

I can post the original file but I guess this will violate copyrights.
However, since replacing the "\\" with "," using Mp3Tag solved the problem.
The Mp3Tag was only used for removing these backslashes which were put there by EAC in the first place.

Reply #8
Could you verify that the file triggers the problem first? Install a portable version of the player in some new directory, add the location of the problem file to media library and see if you can replicate the problem.

If the problem replicates then you we can talk about sharing the file. I'm not a lawyer but sharing problem files temporarily for developers shouldn't cause any problems to anyone.

Reply #10
Could you verify that the file triggers the problem first? Install a portable version of the player in some new directory, add the location of the problem file to media library and see if you can replicate the problem.

If the problem replicates then you we can talk about sharing the file. I'm not a lawyer but sharing problem files temporarily for developers shouldn't cause any problems to anyone.

Done that and it replicates.

Reply #11
Can't do any harm, to "Verify integrity" of the file by playlist view context menu | Utilities | Verify integrity

That's a nice option for files that appear in a playlist.
I was not aware of it.
However, these files do not appear since the tagging is stuck.
Usually, I am dragging the files from a temp folder to fb2k in order to set some missing tags and add Replay Gain.
Next time I'll verify the integrity before moving the files to the main repository.
Thanks for the input of that option.