Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: can FlexAsio loopback record in wasapi exclusive using onboard audio cards ? (Read 1182 times) previous topic - next topic

can FlexAsio loopback record in wasapi exclusive using onboard audio cards ?

Hi

Can I ask you if you have tried FlexAsio and FlexAudioGui ?
It's open source ,I guess
in the download page there is
FlexASIO now supports a new PortAudio feature: WASAPI loopback recording
but there is nothing about exlusive o push mode
about the loopback recording , I'm talking about playing music in exlusive mode and record with another program , not via usb or via mic

I would like to know if FlexAsio can let loopback record  in wasapi exclusive with build in audio cards ,can' it?

thanks

Re: can FlexAsio loopback record in wasapi exclusive using onboard audio cards ?

Reply #1
My impression is that such recording was engineered out of Windows (and probably also Apple) some time ago in the progression of an operating system serving the user to the user serving the interests of tech and other large corporations. Once upon a time some, or many, audio cards had the built-in circuitry to share the internal audio stream with another program, for listening to internally mixed streams or for recording, but that violated the interests of copyright holders so the OS, and add-on hardware, were crippled. Now you have to go D to A and back to D again in order to record (resampled, even if at the same sample rate and bit depth).

Re: can FlexAsio loopback record in wasapi exclusive using onboard audio cards ?

Reply #2
My impression is that such recording was engineered out of Windows (and probably also Apple) some time ago in the progression of an operating system serving the user to the user serving the interests of tech and other large corporations. Once upon a time some, or many, audio cards had the built-in circuitry to share the internal audio stream with another program, for listening to internally mixed streams or for recording, but that violated the interests of copyright holders so the OS, and add-on hardware, were crippled. Now you have to go D to A and back to D again in order to record (resampled, even if at the same sample rate and bit depth).
Hi Andy
even I'm not an expert , I would like to play music with foobar2000 or Aimp or Musicbee in exclusive mode and record with Goldwave in exclusive mode or audacity , just to see if the output is the same , I know many users do still use cool edit 2000 pro , but i don't know if it's compatible with w10 or w11
I would like to perform some tests
thanks AndyH for the answer

Reply #3
Exclusive mode reserves the audio interface exclusively for the purpose it's reserved. You can't open it for recording if it's exclusively used for playback.

The limitation is not about DRM like AndyH-ha seems to suggest. DRM enabled streaming services for example don't use exclusive mode.

You don't need to use exclusive mode to perform the test you are performing. Configure Windows mixer to use the same number of channels, same sampling rate and same or higher bit depth for both playback and recording as your test material uses and just use WASAPI shared mode.

But if you want to make things difficult, I'd suspect virtual audio cable products could be used to perform the test you want to perform in exclusive mode. After all, they are not real sound cards so the input coming to them should be routable to a file.

Reply #4
Exclusive mode reserves the audio interface exclusively for the purpose it's reserved. You can't open it for recording if it's exclusively used for playback.

The limitation is not about DRM like AndyH-ha seems to suggest. DRM enabled streaming services for example don't use exclusive mode.

You don't need to use exclusive mode to perform the test you are performing. Configure Windows mixer to use the same number of channels, same sampling rate and same or higher bit depth for both playback and recording as your test material uses and just use WASAPI shared mode.

But if you want to make things difficult, I'd suspect virtual audio cable products could be used to perform the test you want to perform in exclusive mode. After all, they are not real sound cards so the input coming to them should be routable to a file.
Hi Case
to improve audio speakers settings I should enable under Enhancement
->immediate mode  On "checked"
-> disable all sound effects -> should be On ? I don't know if disable all sound effects means pitcht shift ,equalizer or windows sound like when i want to Empty the Recycle Bin

about the Windows mixer is enough the sample rate and bit (let's say 44100 and 16bit)

thanks Case