Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Where does the sound in a mic comes from (Read 1333 times) previous topic - next topic

Where does the sound in a mic comes from

A musician from Nashville wanted to know where the sound of a mic comes from, and what makes a difference in the sound of a mic. Especially compared to a vintage ones which are sold for high prices.

https://youtu.be/4Bma2TE-x6M

Re: Where does the sound in a mic comes from

Reply #1
I've watched some (all?) of his videos.     They are mostly about guitars & guitar amps and although I'm not a guitar player I found them interesting.    I like his "scientific" approach and open mind.

There's a lot of "mythology" among guitar players (and maybe musicians in general), in some ways similar to the audiophile community.

Reply #2
So, vintage microphones with a mythical aura, they will be kept in the studio with whatever flaw time has passed on to them.
And kick drum microphones don't need to be made for full frequency range.

And the video was fun.

Reply #3
There's a lot of "mythology" among guitar players (and maybe musicians in general), in some ways similar to the audiophile community.
As there is in every community, including this one. Just saying.

There's a lot of SM57s. Based on this video, I can infer that many musicians can tell a poor mic from a better one. I'm not a musician and I could tell just by listening to the tests.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #4
There's a lot of SM57s
The SM57/58 is the most popular microphone of all time!!!   A LOT of stage use.     Probably every pro studio has a few but in pro studios they are mostly used for special applications.    The SM57 is commonly used for snare drums or in front of a guitar cabinet.   (It's impossible to overload and distort them.)