Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: External volume control (Read 547 times) previous topic - next topic

External volume control

Hi there,

I have searched but could not find a similar thread, therefore posting this.

Most of the Windows external USB volume controller will control the Operating System volume control.

What I would like to achieve is to have an external volume controller (eg. those USB rotary encoder types) that is directly linked to foobar's digital volume control; and does not affect the Windows OS sound volume control.

Has anyone done this before?

If yes, can you please share the method/configuration inside foobar, and the brand/model of the USB hardware encoder you're using?

Thank you so much in advance.

Re: External volume control

Reply #1
Please select another device.

Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Sound > Set as Default Device

foobar2000 Preferences > Playback > Output > Device
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, SONY WH-ULT900N (ULT WEAR) (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #2
Volume: Keyboard Shortcuts.

foobar menu Shift + Playback > Volume
Assign these to Keyboard Shortcuts.

Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts > Add new
Action > Filter list by: "Volume" input
Playback > Volume
Assign these to Keyboard Shortcuts.
or to button.
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, SONY WH-ULT900N (ULT WEAR) (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #3
Just to recap my understanding:
  • Understand the USB volume control hardware keycodes sent for volume up/down
  • Setup foobar global keyboard shortcuts to match the hardware keycodes

I got it. Thanks.