Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Apple bluetooth codec (AAC) creates artefacts on my album (Read 1185 times) previous topic - next topic

Apple bluetooth codec (AAC) creates artefacts on my album

Hey

So, I’ve run into a very rare problem it seems.

I've made an album that I also mixed and it has also been mastered. Just before we we're releasing it I bought new bluetooth headphones (Sony WH1000xm4) and all of a sudden the songs had all these artefacts (metallic clunks and little skips/drop outs). It is also present only on Apple devices and more pronounced with iPhone compared to Mac (my guess is it has to have something to do with the AAC bluetooth codec used by Apple). They seem to be compression artifacts of some sort.

I have tried other similar headphones (Sennheiser Momentum 4) and the problem is present there also. It is from my perspective, a problem with heavily noise cancelling bluetooth headphones combined with the AAC codec. On all the other listening devices I've used there is no problem. Also if I use the headphones through an aux cord the problem disappears.

Now bluetooth has it's problems sure, but the weird thing is that otherwise the headphones work just fine with no problems and I haven’t found any music where this problem would be anywhere near as pronounced as it is here on my album.

Also the artefacts are present in the mix I've made (meaning if I open the Logic project I can hear it there already faintly), but the problem isn't found on any individual track.

I’m from Finland and I’ve met with really well known professionals here (top mixers and mastering… masterers[?]) who have no idea where it might come from. And from their perspective there seems to be nothing wrong with my mixes. Yet it feels so improbable that no one else would have run into a problem such as this before.

I’m really at a loss since I’ve worked so hard on this album for a year…
And this is quite a nightmarish situation since I thought that the album was done and we were about to release it already. 

Do you guys have any idea where this might come from and are there any solutions for it? Any type of direction would be appreciated.

Again, this problems can be heard only on certain headphones (such as the Sony WH1000xm4 or 5 and Sennheiser Momentum 4, at least), and when listened through an iPhone. Unfortunately this is a very common listening combination these days which is why I want to search for an answer in any way I can.

I would be very grateful for any guidance here.

Here is a short sample:

https://vocaroo.com/15EcuYWPJlmX

Re: Apple bluetooth codec (AAC) creates artefacts on my album

Reply #1
I tried it with my AirPods Pro 2 and it sounded okay, if it played through my regular speakers. I tested on an iPhone and MacBook Air.

Reply #2
Yeah it' strange that it only happens with certain types of equipment. Heavily noise cancelling over-ear bluetooth headphones...

Reply #3
Yeah it' strange that it only happens with certain types of equipment. Heavily noise cancelling over-ear bluetooth headphones...
If this is true, it is most likely the ANC causing the problem, not the BT codec used.
Can you switch the ANC off?
Can you repeat this on Android as this OS allows you to choose a codec?
Use SBC and AAC to compare.
https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Android/Android_Bluetooth.htm

TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #4

Does it make a difference if you playback MP3 or ALAC or FLAC?

Reply #5
I've tried all the options in the Sony headphones app. It doesn't help.

Also I've tried all different types of formats and the problem is there still.

I'll have to try with an android and AAC. Thanks for the link!