Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Open libre office writer document from inside Foobar? (Read 807 times) previous topic - next topic

Open libre office writer document from inside Foobar?

Is it possible to open a libre office writer document from a field inside Foobar, and then go to a specific point in that document? I would like to use this for attaching a lot of text to a song.
I'm using foobar2000 v2.0 beta 24 [64bit]
With Columns UI Version 2.0.0 beta 1

Re: Open libre office writer document from inside Foobar?

Reply #1
You should be able to open a document using a command within FB2K, but I don't foresee any likelihood of then landing at a specific point in the document.  In order to do that, you need a document storage format which supports such operations, eg HTML (ie a web page).

Suppose you have a something.html file on your computer.  If, within that file, you add the property id="song1" to (eg) a heading tag, then on the Windows command line "cmd /c start <path>\something.html#song1" will* open something.html in your web browser and jump to song1.

* I say "will", but I've not specifically tested anything.  The command syntax may need tweaking, but this is intended to indicate a route to your solution rather than an actual solution.

In summary, I don't think you will have any success trying to display a .odt / .doc file starting at a specific position (unless you write or find a utility which does specifically that, although it might be possible with macros).  HTML is designed to do that.  If you must use .odt / .doc, your alternative is to just have one file per song.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Re: Open libre office writer document from inside Foobar?

Reply #2
Thanks, yes that's what I suspected. Will have to do things manually.
I'm using foobar2000 v2.0 beta 24 [64bit]
With Columns UI Version 2.0.0 beta 1