Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Output the audio stream 1:1 as the music file is. (Read 1581 times) previous topic - next topic

Output the audio stream 1:1 as the music file is.

I use foobar2000 on a M1 MacMini (Ventura 13.0).
DAC is from Jan Meier Corda Daccord-FF
Is there a way to get foobar2000 to output the audio stream 1:1 as the music file is.
This means that foobar2000 does not use the settings that are predefined in the audio-MIDI-setup, but orientates itself on the music-file. Some professional players (e.g. Audirvana) can do this.
Background - I have files with different bit widths and sampling rates.

My DAC
http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/amplifiers.html
nice greetings
Fred (Fritz) - on M1 Mac, macOS Ventura

Re: Output the audio stream 1:1 as the music file is.

Reply #1
Supplement:
My music, mostly in FLAC converted:
16/44.1 (is a standard)
DSD64 (needs a converting, DAC don't support that)
MQA (needs a converting, DAC don't support that) - source 24/352,8 - converted to 24/88,2
16/192
24/44.1
24/48
24/96 (is a standard)
24/192

My DAC supports:
Sampling frequencies / resolution
32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 192 kHz / 16, 20, 24 bit (S/PDIF, USB)
USB-input port (24bit/192kHz)
nice greetings

Reply #2
Just use WASAPI [Exclusive] output.

You'll need to resample your DSD and and MQA files down to something your DAC supports.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #3
Just use WASAPI [Exclusive] output.

You'll need to resample your DSD and and MQA files down to something your DAC supports.

But this is only for Windows! I use an Mac!
WASAPI output support
By: Peter
Adds Windows Audio Session API exclusive mode output support, allowing bit-exact output and muting all other sounds. Windows Vista SP1 or newer required.
Current version: 3.4, released on 2020-12-30
Change log:
Playback position no longer moves slightly forward when paused.
Supported processor architecture: x86 32-bit.
Works with foobar2000 v1.4 and newer
nice greetings

Reply #4
Just trying to understand:

If your content is FLAC encoded, and I presume your DAC can't take raw FLAC, what's the point of sending it 1:1 from the FLAC?  Something needs to decode the FLAC to an audio stream, and that's what FB2K does.  There's no need to enable any effects processing.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #5
I think this is about bit-perfect output. Which was a big thing back when certain sound cards would resample without telling you, and some were using DTS pass-through and ...

Anyway, macOS has the issue that you set the output sampling rate, and ... it resamples. Prompting people to write solutions like https://github.com/vincentneo/LosslessSwitcher . @fredonmac , have you tried that? It can also display the sample rate used.

Reply #6
Just trying to understand:

If your content is FLAC encoded, and I presume your DAC can't take raw FLAC, what's the point of sending it 1:1 from the FLAC?  Something needs to decode the FLAC to an audio stream, and that's what FB2K does.  There's no need to enable any effects processing.
It does not matter if the files are .wav or .flac files. I test this now again.
In combination with foobar 2000 and mac, the mac setting sets the tone.
Other players like Fidelia and Audirvana Studio bypass the Mac settings.
nice greetings

Reply #7
I think this is about bit-perfect output. Which was a big thing back when certain sound cards would resample without telling you, and some were using DTS pass-through and ...

Anyway, macOS has the issue that you set the output sampling rate, and ... it resamples. Prompting people to write solutions like https://github.com/vincentneo/LosslessSwitcher . @fredonmac , have you tried that? It can also display the sample rate used.

I downloaded LosslessSwitcher - but it needs admin rights to run!? My working user don't have admin rights.
How make other Players that? Fidelia and Audirvana runs without admin privileges.

nice greetings