Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converter preset to re-compress FLACs but retain original filename - possible? (Read 816 times) previous topic - next topic

Converter preset to re-compress FLACs but retain original filename - possible?

I have a lot of older CD rips (some dating back to 2002) that were done with older FLAC encoders, or were not done to the highest level of efficiency possible with the FLAC encoder.

Is it possible to set up a converter preset that will in essence only recompress the files while retaining the original filename?
I commonly do this in other instances where retaining the filename is not important, in which case I just use my typical filenaming scheme, however with CD rips I do not want to break the original .cue sheets that refer to those filenames so I am really trying to replace the files with new ones named exactly the same way.

I thought that if I created a preset that would…

• output to source folder
• name format %filename%
• overwrite if file already exists

…I should end up with the “same” files, properly named and still in their original location. Just freshly compressed with a newer version of the FLAC encoder and a bit smaller.

what this actually resulted in is all the original files still in the folder, with another set of files with “(1)” appended to the ends of the filenames.

Is there a way to create a F2K converter preset to do what I’m looking for, and if so, how?