Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is there anyway to increase the size of foobar2000 buttons? (Read 18084 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there anyway to increase the size of foobar2000 buttons?

On large font, large screen TVs the Play, Stop, etc. buttons are microscopic.

Is there *any* way to make them bigger, they are so small that it takes a concentrated effort to use them. It makes the program unusable when compared to other players which can (at least) double the default size of buttons.

Reply #1
Increase the system DPI.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #2
Increase the system DPI.

Is there a place/thread/procedure for foobar2000 feature requests?

Winamp has Options > Double size which addresses this issue for example. Large Play/Stop buttons are needed for quicker use when the program is used in situations that require that. It is not an unreasonable or unusual request... Operational buttons are way too small for quick usage.

Reply #3
Take keyboard shortcuts for start/stop/play/next/forward/vol.up/vol.down etc.
Thats what foobar2000 is build for.  It's the fastest and easiest way.

Reply #4
By no means am I suggesting that default values be changed but not to have an *option* to increase the pogram's functionality by enlarging its opertaional buttons is limiting the program's expansion and growth. There is no keyboard substitute for this:

Reply #5
Winamp has Options > Double size which addresses this issue for example.

foobar2000's Default UI uses standard windows toolbars. That way, if you need accessibility features, you need to use the ones provided by Windows.

Large Play/Stop buttons are needed for quicker use when the program is used in situations that require that.
You're not being very specific. Not that if you were, it would really matter much.

By no means am I suggesting that default values be changed but not to have an *option* to increase the pogram's functionality by enlarging its opertaional buttons is limiting the program's expansion and growth.
fb2k is as popular as it is because the project has maintained it's Developer's vision for a simple yet modular program. I can assure you, adding extraneous UI options is not part of that vision. 

If you'd like to see a program that has been hampered by weird, non-standard UI concepts then you've already provided the perfect example: Winamp. If it is more useful to you, you should by all means use that.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #6
On large font, large screen TVs the Play, Stop, etc. buttons are microscopic.

Is there *any* way to make them bigger, they are so small that it takes a concentrated effort to use them. It makes the program unusable when compared to other players which can (at least) double the default size of buttons.

try Columns UI, you can use png images as toolbar buttons, etc. 128x128. Just make sure that all of your icons are the same size, or only the largest will be visible.

Reply #7
^you can use png images in default UI as well. but it does mean entering the murky world of WSH panel mod. 

however, i've already created a few example scripts so you don't need to know any coding. all you need to do is install the component, add a WSH panel to your layout and then import a script. instructions are contained inside this zip. (but i do assume you already know how to install components and use "layout editing mode" to add a panel)

http://cid-649d3bfeaf541fbb.office.live.co...ide/samples.zip

here's what the "themed toolbar buttons" script looks like.

(old screenshot. i always run the latest and greatest version of foobar  )

Reply #8
Your request was very clear.

1) Go here http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....35270&st=25

2) look for and download buttons you like. You need buttons larger than the default buttons, which are 16x16

3) right click on your existing buttons, select "options", and follow the instructions to replace the exisitng buttons with the ones you downloaded

I use use Columns UI to do the above.  If you can't right click on the buttons in default UI, then switch to Columns UI (download the Columns UI component, then go to File>preferences to install this componet and switch between the default UI and Columns UI)

good luck!

Re: Is there anyway to increase the size of foobar2000 buttons?

Reply #9
Your request was very clear.

1) Go here http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....35270&st=25

2) look for and download buttons you like. You need buttons larger than the default buttons, which are 16x16

3) right click on your existing buttons, select "options", and follow the instructions to replace the exisitng buttons with the ones you downloaded

I use use Columns UI to do the above.  If you can't right click on the buttons in default UI, then switch to Columns UI (download the Columns UI component, then go to File>preferences to install this componet and switch between the default UI and Columns UI)
Hi Godrick,

I would really like to enlarge my Foobar transport-panel, please. Would you be kind enough to link or reupload the required tools?

Much appreciated,

Paul
Keyboards / Composer / Arranger

Reply #10

I would really like to enlarge my Foobar transport-panel, please.

There are always so many requests to shoehorn features into FB which actually solve OS issues. e.g. magnification is unlikely to be an issue limited to FB?

From a user POV it would be terrible to have to onboard each app's approach to the problem, such as having redo the entire UI in FB to get satisfactory results.

Why not use a simple tool that would solve the problem across your entire OS?
e.g. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/zoomit
(I'm not promoting any particular app, ^^^^ is good but there are tons)

that option aside, Marc's solution above is by far the simplest (install jspanel and sample script)
https://github.com/marc2k3/jscript-panel

Reply #11
There are always so many requests to shoehorn features into FB which actually solve OS issues. e.g. magnification is unlikely to be an issue limited to FB?

But isn't the point of an app having a customisable UI to be able to set it up how the user wants, and if the user can't be bothered with all that just leave it default?  My particular use-case, ie live presentation, is quite pressured and clear controls are vital.  Columns UI isn't an option for me unless I settle for only having tempo control via the menus and in a separate window, while the Default UI has indistinct transport control buttons which get smaller the higher res the screen is.

Magnification isn't the answer – that would magnify everything and decrease the amount of text available in the library and playlist browsers (for example), and basically remove the advantage of having a hi-res screen in the first place, or on a low pixel count screen make the text panels even more limited than they already are.

What's needed is a UI option to set the vertical pixel height of the header bar (or even individual heights of multiple header bars) with text and icons scaled according to height, and access to the icon files (if they are accessible in Default UI I've not found them yet).

Maybe, even, the header bar could have an option to be vertical instead of horizontal.

that option aside, Marc's solution above is by far the simplest (install jspanel and sample script)
https://github.com/marc2k3/jscript-panel
Thanks, I shall investigate.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.