Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: resizing artwork rotates image on large resolution images (Read 2090 times) previous topic - next topic

resizing artwork rotates image on large resolution images

I have three CDs, each with large folder.jpgs - 2955 x 2842 is the largest. 600dpi, 24bit deep.
(A bit big I know, but they came straight off the website promoting the release, and I want big images for the TV!)
My resize value is set to 1400x1400 and this is working for other folder.jps that are 1500 x 1500 or that rough size.

For the large ones - 2955 x 2842, the folder.jpg is resized to be within the 1400x1400 range, but it is rotated anti-clockwise 90 degrees. It is displayed like this when encoding and is embedded like this in the mp3 file.

This happens on the:
- 2.20 release
- the build release from @c72578 - https://github.com/gchudov/cuetools.net/files/7945941/CUETools_2.2.0_2022-01-26_git_2a86afa.zip

dpr

Re: resizing artwork rotates image on large resolution images

Reply #1
Hi dpr,

So far, I could not reproduce the reported behavior.
Tested with 2955x2842 600dpi jpg files.

Using this setting:
Advanced Settings - Tagging - Resize if resolution > 1400

Could you please share the link to the jpg files at the website promoting the release, for further investigation?
To check, if there are e.g. exif orientation tags involved etc.
If you prefer, you can send the link as a private message.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Reply #2
@dpr attached you will find a jpeg file (2955x2842, 600dpi, 24bit), which I used for testing.
The reported behavior could not be reproduced. No rotation occurred.
Please test with this image.

Reply #3
Hi dpr,

So far, I could not reproduce the reported behavior.
Tested with 2955x2842 600dpi jpg files.

Using this setting:
Advanced Settings - Tagging - Resize if resolution > 1400

Could you please share the link to the jpg files at the website promoting the release, for further investigation?
To check, if there are e.g. exif orientation tags involved etc.
If you prefer, you can send the link as a private message.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Apologies, using exiftool, there is a rotate tag in at least image. Will check the rest. I never knew about this.

Reply #5
Thanks. I've been trying to fix it using exiftool and not getting it fixed

Reply #6
It's strange that in windows, if I double click on the folder.jpg it is displayed correctly.
The output from exiftool shows an orientation of 'Rotate 90 CW' see attached.
cuetools copies this into the output folder, but if I open that, it's rotated 90 ANTI CLOCKWISE

Reply #7
I'm guessing the reverse rotation is because it's processing the image data without noticing the rotation tag in the EXIF, and not propagating it to the resulting image, either.

Reply #8
Remark: In addition to the already mentioned Open Source ImageMagick, there are of course other programs around, which can rotate JPG files without loss.
E.g. IrfanView (Freeware):
Options - JPG Lossless Rotation... (PlugIn):
Auto-rotate (according to EXIF orientation, if available)

See attached screenshot.