Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [1.6.7] Issues with exclusive mode with RME devices (Read 1353 times) previous topic - next topic

[1.6.7] Issues with exclusive mode with RME devices

I'm not sure if this is digiface's issue or foobar2k's but just want to eliminate one of probable causes.

Could anyone confirm this issue is reproducible on your system please?

• Set digiface's sample rate to 44.1k or 48khz. Set its buffer size to 256.
  • download foobar2k v1.6.7, which is the latest as of now.
  • go to its Preferences>Playback>Output setting page and set the Device to "Primary Sound Driver [exclusive]" (make sure your digiface's WDM device is set as default playback device in your windows)
  • load any music with the matched sample rate (if you are set to 44.1khz, you should load a song with 44.1khz, and otherwise it will show errors)
  • play it(whether to headphone or ADAT) and see if you can hear serious distortion
Now, stop playing. Close foobar2k and change digiface's buffer size to something else. 128, for example. Run foobar2k again and load the same song and play. I don't hear any distortion in this case.

Foobar2k uses WASAPI in exclusive mode when "[exclusive]" device is selected. This is really strange because the distortion happens only in 256 buffer size.

I also have RME UCX and it outputs distortion(more like clicks in this case) with any buffer size when foobar2k uses it exclusive.

My OS is Windows 10 21H1.

Re: [1.6.7] Issues with exclusive mode with RME devices

Reply #1
I tested with WASAPI out support plugin and it works just fine.

I guess there is something wrong with the builtin wasapi support.

Reply #2
In the preferences, advanced have you tried enabling "Exclusive output overrides" and setting the "hardware buffer in milliseconds" to 50?

Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #3
In the preferences, advanced have you tried enabling "Exclusive output overrides" and setting the "hardware buffer in milliseconds" to 50?

Thanks! This solves the issue. Actually, Exclusive output overrides was all that needed. Hardware buffer didn't need to be modified.

Reply #4
This has been reported before on this forum. https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=121183.msg999812#msg999812

You can either:

1. enable Use event and set the hardware buffer in milliseconds to something like 50ms, or
2. disable Use event and set the hardware buffer to 0ms.

Reply #5
I've had an RME HDSPe AES for a decade now and always used the ASIO driver and never had a problem. I was recently considering trying out the new built in modes, but it sounds like more trouble than it's worth so I will stick to ASIO for now.