Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC truncates track titles in cue sheets (Read 1342 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC truncates track titles in cue sheets

When ripping in EAC I usually get tags from CUETools DB and generate a cuesheet. EAC correctly displays the full track titles in the track metadata area. However, in the cue sheet it generates the track titles are truncated to some length, with ellipses added to the end. This is especially troublesome with classical CDs since the track lengths tend to get pretty long. For instance, here is a section of what it generated for one disc:

TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "Symphony No. 103 in E-flat major, Hob I:103 'Drumroll': I. Adagio - Allegro c..."
    PERFORMER "Joseph Haydn"
    REM COMPOSER ""
    INDEX 00 46:15:33
    INDEX 01 46:21:33
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "Symphony No. 103 in E-flat major, Hob I:103 'Drumroll': II. Andante più tosto..."
    PERFORMER "Joseph Haydn"
    REM COMPOSER ""
    INDEX 01 56:16:33

whereas the correct output, if it were copying the metadata from CUETools DB, would be this:

TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "Symphony No. 103 in E-flat major, Hob I:103 'Drumroll': I. Adagio - Allegro con spirito - Adagio"
    PERFORMER "Joseph Haydn"
    REM COMPOSER ""
    INDEX 00 46:15:33
    INDEX 01 46:21:33
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "Symphony No. 103 in E-flat major, Hob I:103 'Drumroll': II. Andante più tosto allegretto"
    PERFORMER "Joseph Haydn"
    REM COMPOSER ""
    INDEX 01 56:16:33

Other than manually editing all affected cue sheets, is there some way to change this behavior? I've dug through the settings but haven't been able to find a relevant option.

Re: EAC truncates track titles in cue sheets

Reply #1
  WCHAR      discTitleTxt[82];  // redbook specs max 80 chars

so that's something.  It's been there for many years and I've looked at it bewildered-like more than once.  Maybe that's a CDR-Win thing, since I don't know how redbook applies to this.
BANNED

Reply #2
CDText limit?

Reply #3
CD-Text can pack a lot.  I checked the authority (attached) and it says

The size of each character string is preferably 160 bytes or less.

That's at the top of column "8" (page 27 of 30).  Could be you're thinking, okay that's 80 double-byte characters so there you go, but 1) most software I've tried crashes when given double-byte CD-Text (EAC, ImgBur, but not Jukebox2112 or Windows API), and 2) ... right, that's probably a "80 characters ought to be enough for anyone" thing, given the time period.

There is a total limit on total characters that can be stuff into a CD-Text thing, and it's large.  And given almost nothing writes double-byte CD-Text (so preferably 160 bytes or less is the same as saying 160 characters or less) per string, I can presume 80 characters for title, album, performer is not a CD-Text limit.

So back to pointing at CDRWin.  That thing from last century.  Probably from what all the other things are going on.

I am taking a closer look just for to see for myself if I can do more.
BANNED