Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lame and Win XP (Read 4796 times) previous topic - next topic

Lame and Win XP

Thinking of moving to XP operating system.  Any good advice for Lame/Razorlame/EAC???

Lame and Win XP

Reply #1
LAME and RL should run just fine, so should EAC.

The only issue you might run into with EAC is the ASPI layer used for ripping. Installing the newly released Adaptec ASPI 4.7 seems to be problematic under XP. You should start with ASPI 4.6, and if it works, stick to it. Of course you could just use the integrated XP layer, but the Adaptec one is considered to be more sophisticated and faster (maybe you could test that and post the results here?).

Lame and Win XP

Reply #2
Just as an aside, if you can possibly try Windows 2000 also, it might be a good idea. In my experience it's been more stable as a whole and with using EAC.
rc55.com - nothing going on

Lame and Win XP

Reply #3
Originally posted by rc55
Just as an aside, if you can possibly try Windows 2000 also, it might be a good idea. In my experience it's been more stable as a whole and with using EAC.

I believe that this largely depends on your system setup: hardware, drivers, settings, additional software. I know several people that rip CDs with EAC on XP quite extensively, and they never complained about the stability.

Lame and Win XP

Reply #4
Good point, CiTay... I guess I was just unlucky!
rc55.com - nothing going on

Lame and Win XP

Reply #5
Thanks guys you answered my questions perfectly..... I was wondering about something I had read about Lame being a DOS program... But for some reasonthat does't seem to be an issue.... Wonder why.... Thanks for your info on ASPI.

Lame and Win XP

Reply #6
Originally posted by dbgravel
Thanks guys you answered my questions perfectly..... I was wondering about something I had read about Lame being a DOS program... But for some reasonthat does't seem to be an issue.... Wonder why.... Thanks for your info on ASPI.

No problem. And i think your friends mixed something up: LAME does have a DOS-like interface, yes, but it's a Win32 command line program. It does not run in (MS-)DOS mode. Another example of a Windows "command line interface" program is Musepack (MPC).

Lame and Win XP

Reply #7
Thank for the info.  Will check it out. 
Another question is that I ran the EAC under XP and yet, after I configured for the CD-Rom and DVD-ROM, an audio CD is placed in one or the other but EAC shows nothing.  Why??  Did I miss something?

Lame and Win XP

Reply #8
i just wanted to tell that i rip perfactly dvds & audio trakcs with the aspi 4.70 from adaptec and winXP

i belevie the "aspi 4.70 is faulty" is merly a rumor started by someone who doesn know he/she's own computer setup. and alwasy blame the most newest stuff isntalled.
isntead of testing the actuall cause for the rror
Sven Bent - Denmark

Lame and Win XP

Reply #9
thank you gyus for the tip with the aspi layer. i had to turn off DMA for my cd-rom when using eac under XP.

Dezibel

Lame and Win XP

Reply #10
I had problems with ASPI 4.70 and CDex, though it worked gread (better then 4.60) in EAC.  The ASPI driver form the CDex homepages fixes it though.