Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to encode FLAC ReplayGain for multiple CDs (Read 3280 times) previous topic - next topic

How to encode FLAC ReplayGain for multiple CDs

I am looking to archive my CD collection (~250 CDs) using FLAC. (The ultimate goal is to save to ogg vorbis for playback, and FLAC for archiving to DVD+R: CD -> FLAC -> ogg vorbis.)

My intention is to use CDex to create the FLAC files. This seemed fine until I read up on ReplayGain and realized that this approach would not provide Audiophile tags. (The files are encoded individually.)

Ripping to wave will give the audiophile setting, but I will loose the other tags. Also, this adds another step in the process.

My question: how do I get the Audiophile tag in addition to other tags that CDex provides?

Is there a ReplayGain editor that would scan a group (directory/album) of FLAC files and add the Audiophile tag?

Is there another way that I'm overlooking or am not aware of?

Thanks for your suggestions, jr
"There is no point in saving WAV... unless you have a huge HD in a very slow computer" - Jan S. (WAV or FLAC, Space No Problem)

Reply #1
metaflac --add-replay-gain file1.flac file2.flac ...

Should do the job just fine. If you don't want to fuck around with the commandline, foobar2000's ReplayGain gives exactly the same results, so you could also use that.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #2
By "Audiophile", I assume you mean Album Gain (as opposed to Track Gain)?

Rip to FLAC files as usual, then use Foobar2000 w/FLAC component.  Load all the songs you want to ReplayGain, select all the songs, then right-click -> Replaygain -> "Scan selection as multiple albums using album field."  That is, of course, assuming that the FLAC files are all tagged appropriately.

Also, you seem to have a common misconception.  ReplayGain stores values for *both* Album Gain and Track Gain.  You have to specify in your FLAC player/decoder whether you want it to use the Album or Track values.

Reply #3
Flac FrontEnd will do the trick as well just fine and easy.

You can do even better if you download Multiple frontend, it can deals with Ogg and Flac at the same time and with replaygain.

Hope it helps.

Reply #4
Tag Frontend will not Replaygain already encoded files using metaflac. This should probably be added...

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.