Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help a beginner get started please! (Read 2772 times) previous topic - next topic

Help a beginner get started please!

Sorry this is a bit long but please help. I'm really not smart when it comes to pcs and technology but I'm desperately trying to learn.  I'm just about to start putting my cd collection on to my pc.  I've been playing around (and struggling!) with EAC, LAME, Ape, FLAC etc and have decided that I want to store losslessly (can't decide between Ape and Flac). However before I set off I have some basic questions.

I'm really struggling with the issue of tagging/naming (can't even find out what ID3 tags area!).  I thought that by setting up the filename options in EAC, it would carry them over to the Flac or Ape compressed files, but when I replay in Winamp it doesn't seperate out artist/album/track info. How do I get around this? Keep in mind that I may also be compressing some into MP3 eventually for personal stereo / in car use. 

Is there any replay software other than Winamp that plays APE or FLAC files?  I really don't like its interface.  Ideally I'd like software that may also be compatible with IR remote control.

Finally, I can't believe I'm the only person doing this.  I've searched for weeks but can only find bits of scattered information which to be honest I'm unable in many cases to understand.  Is there a  simple step by step tutorial anywhere?

Many many thanks.

Reply #1
Everything you are asking is already all over this forum. Takes some time to search and read through some of the threads.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #2
APE/FLAC... uffff. Yes, use the search. 
Is there any replay software other than Winamp that plays APE or FLAC files?

You're in the foobar2000's home... try it. 
http://www.foobar2000.org/