Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar always crashes on start (even clean minimal portable install) (Read 1759 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar always crashes on start (even clean minimal portable install)

Suddenly foobar2000 v1.5.4 started crashing on startup. Then I've updated to v1.6.3 and the same thing happened.
I've tried uninstalling everything including settings and deleting complete folder. Again the same thing, the fresh installation and it crashes on start.
Also tried portable install and again the same crash on start.
Also tried minimal portable install. Still the same crash on start.
Also tried v1.5.4 again and it also crashes.

Windows 10 Home v2004, AMD Athlon II X4 605e, 4 GB RAM

How can I make foobar2000 run again?

Re: foobar always crashes on start (even clean minimal portable install)

Reply #1
not knowing what or how, I'd start by trying to install foobar on another partition/drive for a real fresh start.

Reply #2
And restart Windows 10 for good measure. (Not shut down and turn on again, that works different)

Reply #3
Shut down and turn on again works fine if you disable Fast Restart, which is a wise choice when multi-booting anyway.

Reply #4
maybe change the selected, or windows default, output device?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #5
Located matching crash reports, problem seems to be related to GdiPlus library (visualisations? album art display?)
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #6
Located matching crash reports, problem seems to be related to GdiPlus library (visualisations? album art display?)

Thanks for checking the crash reports.
The visualisation was disabled last time when foobar was running. I don't have much album art and didn't playback recently anything that had it. I didn't set anything specific in regards to the album art display, everything was as per default.

I cannot start foobar. Thus I cannot change output device or configure foobar in any way. I don't have dual boot.

Thanks to everybody for many suggestions.

Reply #7
Have you completely powered down and rebooted the system from a cold state? Have you recently changed or updated any audio hardware or software? You might try reinstalling your audio drivers. You might try changing the default output in Window's Sound Settings. You might also want to run Windows Update. You might try starting Windows in safe mode, and seeing if that will allow you to start Foobar. You might try replacing the gdiplus.dll. Foobar also has a safe mode; I think you put a file named "running" in the install folder.

Reply #8
I don't think output device is a factor here - it doesn't seem to have done anything with audio output yet by the time it crashes.
Perhaps another user interface (Columns UI? Classic UI?) would work, but you'd have to move a portable config to another machine to change it, then move it back. (No, do not try removing foo_ui_std.dll, it doesn't work that way)
A power-off + cold boot could help, such issues have been known to happen - malformed copy of a DLL being cached by Windows, reloading proper one after a full shutdown/reboot.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #9
Tried:
 - rebooting system (multiple times)
 - updating windows and drivers
 - windows safe mode
 - portable installation on a different drive (minimal and full)
 - foobar safe mode
 - again normal foobar install
 - manually deleting everything that has foobar in my user folder including AppData\Roaming\foobar2000

There was no hardware change in years. No software update recently (except windows itself).
Didn't had any special user interface, only default one from foobar. Had only encoder/decoder additional plugins installed.

Nothing helps. foobar always crashes at the very startup.

Does portable install modify anything except the folder it was installed to?
Is there something in registry that is being used by foobar?

Reply #10
Have you tried running Windows built in system file checker? From an admin command prompt, enter 'SFC /scannow'

maybe replace and or de and re register gdiplus.dll

would not hurt to look at the drive's SMART status and run memtest either

Reply #11
SCF found some problems and reported that some problems couldn't be fixed.
So I went for the Windows repair.
After repairing windows, foobar2000 works again. So, it seems some windows dlls were broken.
Thanks to all for proposing solutions.

Reply #12
Great to hear it's working. Any idea what lead to the dll corruption? Any hard lockups prior to foobar not starting?

Reply #13
As I remember some problems in Windows occurred unrelated to foobar some time ago. It seems to be just coincidence that foobar was the application that showed the problem. I was anyhow using that PC rarely and when it would be often just for foobar. It probably wasn't foobar that caused the problem. It could have been the Windows update.

Reply #14
corrupt system files may be indicative of an underlying hardware issue

Reply #15
Could be. Should run disk and mem check. Let's not discuss this anymore here as this is foobar2000 forum. Thanks a lot for the help.