Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sound distortions in 1.6.2 with automatic resampling under Wine (Read 3028 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound distortions in 1.6.2 with automatic resampling under Wine

Hello,

I am a long time user of foobar2000 under Wine, it has been working perfectly so far. Recently, I upgraded from 1.4.2 to 1.6.2, I noticed some 44100Hz sampled audio is distorted when playing back, others playing very softly, I needed to turn my speakers up to the maximum to hear it. The only clue I noticed was a message "Automatic resampling: using Resampler (dBpoweramp/SSRC)" in the console. Changing the output plugin did not fix any of the problems.

I tried backtracking versions to find out when it started, I suspected it was in 1.6.1 since 1.6 works fine if I inserted a resampler in the DSP manager.

Mind putting an option to allow the old behavior again as a workaround for Wine?

Re: Sound distortions in 1.6.2 with automatic resampling under Wine

Reply #1
I am also getting weird distortion in Wine when playing certain tracks using 1.6.2, but not 1.6. I think it is something to do with the AAC decoder though.

It occurs using either my own Pulseaudio output, or the default output through Wine, and it happens with v13 and v14 of Pulseaudio, so it is not any of those components. My own output doesn't trigger the automatic resampler so I don't think it's the resampler. As far as I can tell, it happens only for AAC tracks. It also doesn't happen with the same files in Windows, even when connected straight to Pulseaudio using my output. I think the distortion sounds something like floating point values being interpreted as fixed point or vice versa.

Are you also playing AAC files?

Reply #2
No, it happens regardless of formats for me, like FLAC and MP3s. I am using ALSA for sound.

Reply #3
I tested on a clean 1.6.2 install. I tried adding the resampler (either of the default ones) and that does also cause distortion for me.  AAC files do defiintely distort for me even without resampling too, though. Also I noticed that the spectrum analyzer always shows a few peaks in the bass that aren't really there, whatever is playing, even silence.

Reply #4
FWIW, using Foobar via Wine I am also experiencing distortion and volume reduction when playing back MP3, AAC, and Vorbis. WavPack playback is normal, no issues. I'm on Foobar2000 1.6.2, but first noticed the issue after the upgrade to Pulseaudio 14.

Reply #5
I am also getting consistent Foobar crashing when I go to the "Convert" dialog and try to access/change the "Output format" settings.

Reply #6
Downgrading to wine-staging 5.20 fixed it for me for now.

Reply #7
Thank you, @sammoth ! That fixed both issues for me as well.

Reply #8
Anyone try with Wine 6 yet?

Reply #9
I'm on Arch Linux current with wine-staging 5.22, pulseaudio output.
I get totally distorted output using foobar2000 1.6.2 trying following formats; MP3, Ogg Vorbis, AAC.
While testing these formats there are no distortion; FLAC, WavPack, APE, WAV, Shorten, MusePack, Speex, MIDI and some tracker/game formats I tried.
I first thought it was only lossy formats that distorted, but as Musepack and Speex are lossy and don't distort that's not the case. Reverting to foobar2000 1.5.5 solves this problem so that's the solution I'm going with for now...
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #10
Interesting. Downgrading WINE worked for Sammoth and me. Seems some combinations of Foobar and WINE work, some do not.

Reply #11
wine-6.0-rc4 seems to be fine again for me.

Reply #12
wine-6.0-rc4 seems to be fine again for me.
No distortion on Vorbis, MP3 or AAC or very low volume in other situations with foobar2000 1.6.2 anymore? Is this with pulseaudio 14 BTW?
Distortion sounds like it's a samplerate/resampling issue... Wonder what the bug is/was?

Reply #14
FWIW, Wine-staging 6.0-1 resolves this issue for me.

Reply #15
Can confirm; with wine-staging 6.0, pulseaudio 14.1 and foobar2000 1.6.3 beta 3 the problem are no longer present.
   :)

Reply #16
Confirmed, Wine-staging 6.0 with ALSA works perfectly for me with foobar 1.6.3 on Gentoo.