Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What is The Best Media Player (Read 7357 times) previous topic - next topic

What is The Best Media Player

Reply #25
Ever thought of providing us with some links??  I'm wayyy to lazy to search for EVERYTHING you just mentioned on my own.

Google is your friend...

I have updated my post with links for all lazy people though. 

Reply #26
Sorry for the repost: blame the forum software. This one has links to the software I mentioned.

Audio: winamp for its plugin support (eg: Matrix decoder) and easy integration with other software running on my HTPC. If foobar could be used with my HTPC (hint hint: remote wonder plugin for example) I might consider switching to it.

Reply #27
Video: it used to be Media Player Classic, but one thing I have recently noticed is it is too forgiving  What I mean is you could have a badly setup system and MPC will still work fine, which is great, but it means problems go unnoticed. I love its realaudio support though, and I still use it everyday on my 'normal' desktops.

On my HTPC I have recently tested almost all available players and I have finally settled on Crystal Player which beats everything else by far. One of the nicest features is a great looking OSD in the hardware video overlay (which mean it is visible on TV). You have to try it to appreciate it.

A note about ZoomPlayer: I must have tried using it more than a dozen times following people enthusiasm about it but was always disappointed; overcomplex configuration, does not scale and crop properly (you notice it when using the hardware video overlay), OSD not in the overlay.

Reply #28
Video codecs: DivXG400 is a must to automatically resize and compensate for overscan, DVobSub is simply leagues ahead of anything else in term of the quality of its subtitle rendering engine, the latest DivX (Manihi) decoder has a fantastic feature with automatic Post-Processing adjustments, Nic's Xvid decoder has some good post-processing as well.