Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Facets - Double Click - Send Entire Album? (Read 1041 times) previous topic - next topic

Facets - Double Click - Send Entire Album?

Hi,  I use Facets to browse my collection of albums (the columns are from left to right Artist>Album>Tracks).  And I want the functionality that when i click a Track, it will send the entire album to the Now Playing Playlist, not just that one track.

The reason is because if I want to start in the middle of the album, I should be able to click that track and the entire album will play from that track onwards.

Every other music player works this way, including the foobar mobile app, but I cant figure out if this functionality is possible with Facets.  Thank you!

Re: Facets - Double Click - Send Entire Album?

Reply #1
Hi there,

Not possible because Facets is a library filter - when you click one track you have filtered the library down to that one track.

However you can get the functionality you want by using the playlist. Remove the 'Track' pane from Facets (it can be removed in Layout Editing Mode), select an album, and double-click the track you want to start with in the playlist.

(If you really want a "track list" column like the Facets one, I guess you could insert a second playlist viewer with just a single track column formatted the same - %tracknumber%. %title%)

Cheers

Reply #2
Hmm, thank you.  I see now how Facets is filtering the tiers and then allowing me to send that information direct.

The problem I had when using single click to send to playlist (which is i believe what you are suggesting in your second point) is that I like to browse for other music while the current playlist is playing.  And when i did that in the past, it would always send/overwrite whatever I was playing, with what I was browsing.  Maybe I just had it set up incorrectly..

I would like to have panels for browsing by artist>album>track, and then a separate Now Playing playlist with the functionality I describe in the original post.  Similar to how foobar mobile works.  Would you or anyone happen to know of another plugin that might accomplish this?  I appreciate the help.

Reply #3
The problem I had when using single click to send to playlist (which is i believe what you are suggesting in your second point) is that I like to browse for other music while the current playlist is playing.  And when i did that in the past, it would always send/overwrite whatever I was playing, with what I was browsing.  Maybe I just had it set up incorrectly..
Oh you have it set on double-click currently - I missed that in the subject. Yes, the only way around that issue is to set single-click (Selection action) to 'None', in Preferences > Media Library > Facets, and use double/middle-click actions instead. Then you can browse in Facets without changing the playlist.

Oh well, that changes things. Browsing to a different selection (while playing) would indeed not work so well with my suggestion - a playlist "track list" would only show the currently active tracks, and not the filtered selection.

If you want the 'Track' column to show the contents of the previous selection, it has to be a filter. On the other hand, if you want it to send/play the entire album, it cannot be a filter.

I'm not sure there is going to be a solution to this little puzzle... :(  I think you're going to have to double-click in the playlist instead. By the way, this is not unique to Facets - it would be the same in Columns UI, Album List, etc, if you filter down to the track level.

Wish I could help more. Maybe someone else will have some ideas...

Cheers

Reply #4
Some ideas....

I have a left Facets column for Albums and a right one for Tracks. It's configured so a middle click replaces any contents in the current playlist with the middle click item(s). If you middle click on a single track it replaces everything in the current playlist, start it playing, then middle click on the associated album which does the same, but the currently playing track will continue to play (check the Facets middle click option in Preferences if it doesn't). From there the playing order depends on the order they're normally added to the playlist.

Personally I think it makes more sense to replace the playlist contents with the entire album, then double click on the track in the playlist you want to start playing from.

I think the default sorting when adding items to a playlist is the file name order. If you have the "Track No" column enabled in the playlist columns, you can change the sort order to track number. Or you can change the default sort order to %track% under File/Preferences/Facets/Library.

It looks like you have everything named beginning with the track number, so the default sorting should be fine.

You can also easily add the tracks beginning with the track you want to play first by highlighting them. Middle clicking on a highlighted item doesn't change the selection and if you have a track number column in Facets, you can sort by track number before highlighting rather than sort by title. Alternatively, if you have middle click doing something else, you can right click on the highlighted tracks to send them to the playlist. The order to which they're added to a playlist would still depend on the setting in preferences though.

Anyway.... none of that is exactly what you asked for, but more versatile than blindly adding the entire album. It'd look something like this with my fb2k setup.