Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Anyone Ever Solved The Mystery of While MJ's "Billie Jean" Fails DoP Playback? (Read 1279 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone Ever Solved The Mystery of While MJ's "Billie Jean" Fails DoP Playback?

The title says it all.

For those that don't know; the SACD of Michael Jackson's Thriller was mastered a little too hot for Scarlett Book and it's been known to have some problems. It always played fine in my players...then I switched to DSD DAC playback (SMSL M8). That's when the issues began.

The biggest issue is that the beginning of Billie Jean was "corrupted"; the DAC would lose sync. I ripped the disc once, I ripped it twice, I made sure it was still playing in my ancient player, I made sure my PS3 was still properly ripping, and I bought the DSD files from HDTracks. The result was the same; the second beat (or so) of Billie Jean would make the DAC go nuts. Oddly enough; I could convert the tracks directly to PCM with no issue. I don't listen to the album often; I ignored the issue.

Fast forward to last September. Lightning strike took out a lot of stuff...including my DAC. So I bought a newer DAC...not the one I ultimately kept; but I bought a cheap "stop-gap" (Sabaj DA3...not a good choice). The biggest improvement was the chips/drivers now supported native DSD bitstream playback instead of DoP packing. So I reconfigured everything to do native DSD playback. Guess what I put on? Thriller. Guess what happened?

It played. Flawlessly. No desync, no dropped samples; it just played the entire thing as effortlessly as my player. I reconfigured back to DoP playback. The problem was worse; with the track not wanting to even attempt to sync for the first few seconds. Flip back to native DSD...works flawlessly. The DAC I ultimately bought to use (SMSL SU-8); being the exact same basic architecture, it was was exactly the same as the Sabaj.

The thing is I can't figure out why this would happen. All DoP does is pack the lower 16-bits of a 176.4khz stream with DSD data, using the other 8-bits as the DoP flag. The chipset should be extracting the exact same DSD data out of the stream. I've often wondered if there's just a pattern with the DSD data that's causing the chipset to get confused.

I'm asking because I've done some searching and have only found people mentioning it. Before I start spending hours in a hex editor comparing loads and loads of data; I thought I'd ask to see if someone already did this and I could save myself some effort.
SMSL SU-8 -> Little Bear P5 -> Sansui SE-8 - Denon PMA-770 -> Ohm Model L | High-Res Lover | DSD Enthusiast | Mad SACD-Scientist

Re: Anyone Ever Solved The Mystery of While MJ's "Billie Jean" Fails DoP Playback?

Reply #1
So here's what I've found.

Part of the issue is that the track starts almost simultaneously with the marker on the disc; and this thing takes a little longer to sync to DoP than my M8 did.

Forcing Foobar to generate DoP, I wrote both Billie Jean to a DoP file. It didn't matter where in either track I started playback; the amount of delay before the audio was the same and had nothing to do with the behavior of this track on the M8. When I added a few seconds of silent DoP frames to the beginning of the stream, it played fine.

Too bad I didn't think of trying it this way when I had my M8.
SMSL SU-8 -> Little Bear P5 -> Sansui SE-8 - Denon PMA-770 -> Ohm Model L | High-Res Lover | DSD Enthusiast | Mad SACD-Scientist