Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Site/Browser Problems... (Read 5742 times) previous topic - next topic

Site/Browser Problems...

Originally posted by Frank Klemm
Board only work under Windows.
And over modem it is sooo slooooow because page attributes
are always forcing reloads of the pages.

OT:

What OS/Browser are you using?

The board works under IE 4.x+, Netscape 4.x, Netscape 6.x, Mozilla, Konqueror, Opera, and probably others I haven't tried.

I personally know people who are using Windows, MacOS, Linux, BSD, so at least these operating systems work as well, and their are probably more.

What exactly is the problem you are having again?

I will admit that the page load times aren't as snappy as I'd like on dialup, but then, I'm not sure any pages with dynamic content really are these days.

I've been working on the site redesign/update, much more lately since I've had a bit of time.. so there's still the possibility to mirror threads off here into a mailing list, but so far you are the only one who has requested this.. I'm not sure how many people would really use it.

I'm short on time so I'll have to wait to respond to the other stuff later.

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #1
Originally posted by Dibrom

I personally know people who are using Windows, MacOS, Linux, BSD, so at least these operating systems work as well, and their are probably more.

It works fine on BeOS with Opera 3.6 too

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #2
Just a note, it even works under LYNX in LINUX.

LYNX is a text/console based browser and should also be faster as it doesn't display graphics etc, can take a bit of getting used to though!! ;-)

Kristian Tippins

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #3
Originally posted by kritip
LYNX is a text/console based browser and should also be faster as it doesn't display graphics etc, can take a bit of getting used to though!! ;-)

I'd recommend Links over Lynx - multithreaded (so you can have background downloads for instance), frame support, color support, etc... A lot more pleasant to use. I used to love lynx, but after getting used to links I can't stand it anymore

Check it out at links.sourceforge.net.

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #4
Cheers for that, it's a much smaller download, compiles faster and the frame support is a god send!
Kristian Tippins

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #5

OT:

What OS/Browser are you using?

The board works under IE 4.x+, Netscape 4.x, Netscape 6.x, Mozilla, Konqueror, Opera, and probably others I haven't tried.

What exactly is the problem you are having again?

I will admit that the page load times aren't as snappy as I'd like on dialup, but then, I'm not sure any pages with dynamic content really are these days.

I've been working on the site redesign/update, much more lately since I've had a bit of time.. so there's still the possibility to mirror threads off here into a mailing list, but so far you are the only one who has requested this.. I'm not sure how many people would really use it.

I'm short on time so I'll have to wait to respond to the other stuff later.

Linux 2.2.19
Netscape 4.78
Cookies on.
Java + Javascript off due to serious stability problems.
Erased Web cache

Win2000 + IE 5.0 works with no problems.
Win98 + IE 5.0 works with no problem.
Linux 2.2.19 + netscape 4.78 sometimes works (10%)
Linux 2.2.19 + Opera (version unknown)  sometimes works (10%).

I write an article, sent the article, get a message back thanking for the posting and the posting never occures.
The tanking message can't be from the cache because I erased
netscape's cache directory and restarted netscape.

I.e. there was a message sent to HydrogenAudio and I get back
a return message. May be I should sent you exact times when this happens.

This message was sent using Win2K SP2, IE 5.0, P4/1.7, 0.5 GB RDRAM.
--  Frank Klemm

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #7

Linux 2.2.19
Netscape 4.78
Cookies on.
Java + Javascript off due to serious stability problems.
Erased Web cache 

Win2000 + IE 5.0 works with no problems.
Win98 + IE 5.0 works with no problem.
Linux 2.2.19 + netscape 4.78 sometimes works (10%)
Linux 2.2.19 + Opera (version unknown)  sometimes works (10%).

I write an article, sent the article, get a message back thanking for the posting and the posting never occures.
The tanking message can't be from the cache because I erased
netscape's cache directory and restarted netscape.

I.e. there was a message sent to HydrogenAudio and I get back
a return message. May be I should sent you exact times when this happens.

This message was sent using Win2K SP2, IE 5.0, P4/1.7, 0.5 GB RDRAM.

Hrmm.  Well as you can see above, there are many people using other combinations than Win/IE which have no problem posting here.  I think the problem you are having may be due to having javascript turned off, but I'm not certain of that.  That would be the first thing I would look at.

Second, are you running any sort of filtering software or something like that?

And lastly, why not upgrade to a better browser?  At least personally, I don't see the point in using Netscape 4.x (especially if, in this case, it might be causing you problems) when there are other better, faster, more standards compliant browsers out there like Mozilla, Opera, or Konquerer.  I've been using Mozilla 0.9.9 on this site lately, and it works beautifully, so that's what I'd personally recommend.  It even renders the pages faster than IE6!

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #8
back off topic:

i disagree with dibrom [oh my gosh! i never thought it would happen]...netscape 4.7x would be the version i would use...the 6.x line is nothing special, but with alot of issues...

with that said, i would still recommend you, or anyone, to use opera...and they have just released their first beta
http://www.opera.com/download/get.pl?platf...linux&force=6.0

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #9

Second, are you running any sort of filtering software or something like that?

On the firm (W2K+IE) runs filtering software. All works wine.
At home I use a modem dialup not using any proxy. Problems.
But I can't say it do not work at all. Ca. 10% of the postings
will be published. This is strange . . .

The main question is where comes the thanking message from
after cleaning up web caches and restarting netscape.
--  Frank Klemm

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #10
The main question is where comes the thanking message from
after cleaning up web caches and restarting netscape.

A friend of mine had a problem with a PHP page he was building recently which would pull random words from a dictionary - he marked the page as no-cache, but still got the same word every time he refreshed the page. He asked me to test it, and it worked perfectly from my end. Turns out his university dialup had a transparent proxy somewhere down the line which didn't honour the no-cache flag, and happily served him the page from the cache every time.

Could it be that something similar is happening with you? Or does it work in other browsers on the same connection?

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #11
Originally posted by xmixahlx
i disagree with dibrom [oh my gosh! i never thought it would happen]...netscape 4.7x would be the version i would use...the 6.x line is nothing special, but with alot of issues...

If you note, I didn't recommend Netscape 6.x, I recommended Mozilla, and 0.9.9 at that.  Two very different things.  Sure, netscape 6 is derived from Mozilla, but it's often much buggier, based on older code, and with extra, non-mozilla code, added into the mix.  There really should be no contest about Mozilla's superiority to Netscape 4.x either.  The rendering engine is vastly superior especially in regards to some of the more recent standards like css stuff and later javascript versions.  It also renders tables much better/faster, etc.  The list goes on.  Again, there really is no reason to use Netscape 4.x at all.  It's extremely buggy, not very compliant to later standards, slow, etc.

with that said, i would still recommend you, or anyone, to use opera...and they have just released their first beta
http://www.opera.com/download/get.pl?platf...linux&force=6.0

Opera is a nice browser, but Mozilla is still much more standards compliant, not to mention it's Javascript implementation is much better than that of Opera's.  For that matter, Mozilla seems to render quite a few pages (such as HA) faster than Opera as well, despite Opera's claims of being the fastest  browser on earth.  And all that aside, Mozilla runs on damn near every OS that exists and is open source.

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #12
I would change browsers under Linux.  I had some pages I generated using PHP ones that worked in everything BUT Netscape 4.x on Linux or Windows.

I think it dealt with spaces in URLS, though that really shouldn't be a problem here.

- Agent 86

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #13
hey, do you like my new avatar? it's amazing what mspaint can do for a web page...anyways...

@dibrom:

i didn't have any problems with mozilla, in fact when i use linux that is the browser that i usually use...

i misread your post and thought that you didn't recommend 4.7x but recommended 6.x...sorry.

for windows, i have found that i like opera 6.01 the best.  it's only fault is that it cannot load a few "security" sites that i use [wwu's registration page, for exampe].  i have found it to be the fastest and most feature-rich browser, IMHO. but, you need IE in windows, so i just use two browsers...only using IE for opera's unloadable pages...

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #14
I just started using Mozilla 0.9.9, and I like it a lot, but I can't seem to run any java apps.  Otherwise, it's sweet...
It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is.  If you don't, it's its.

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #15
Try installing Sun's JRE 1.4:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/download.html

It will install a Netscape-compatible Java plugin, apart from the usual runtime files.

CU

Dominic

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #16
Thanks for the tip, but even after I installed JRE 1.4, Mozilla still asks to install the Java plug-in when I hit a site with Java.  It must not be registering itself with Mozilla.

I have the same problem with the QuickTime plug-in, so I think this is a Mozilla issue, and not a Java issue.
It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is.  If you don't, it's its.

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #17
Originally posted by Amadeus93
Thanks for the tip, but even after I installed JRE 1.4, Mozilla still asks to install the Java plug-in when I hit a site with Java.  It must not be registering itself with Mozilla.

I have the same problem with the QuickTime plug-in, so I think this is a Mozilla issue, and not a Java issue.

Once you install the JRE, you have to copy the NP*.dll files from the jre/bin directory to the mozilla plugin directory.  Once you do this everything should work ok.

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #18
That did the trick for Java, so then I copied in the plugin files for QuickTime, and now that works too!

Dibrom, you're just an all-around whiz-kid, aren't you?

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #19
Dibrom, you're just an all-around whiz-kid, aren't you?

amadeus, i doubt he is a "kid"...

Site/Browser Problems...

Reply #20
I use Mozilla here too on W2K all around...never had a problem.

Gotta admit, the latest Mozilla builds are excellent, it's tabbed browsing that finally made me a 100% convert. Goodbye IE.