Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripping CD in FLAC and playback issue (Read 2697 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripping CD in FLAC and playback issue

Hey guys,

First post here. Loads of great info here for Foobar2000 for a complete newbie like myself. I've been using iTunes for years and I just wanted to get away from it and so far Foobar is fantastic at keeping my music organised. Really enjoying it and finding my way around it. It's still a learning process.

However, I'm having an issue ripping my CD's to FLAC and I'm hoping that someone can help me.

When I rip the CD to Foobar as FLAC files, I keep getting the following error message come up

1 out of 1 tracks converted with minor problems.

Source: "cdda://02D4FC56" / index: 16
  CD access error, attempting to reread.
  CD access error, attempting to reread.

I only ripped this single song as I noticed when listening to this that the song skipped (same way a scratched CD would) and I deleted the file and ripped it again. This time, there is a very quick static/white noise sound for a fraction of a second before the track plays and the track sounds fine. This is on another CD as well and I got a similar message when ripping that.

I've only ripped a few CD's which I purchased recently and all give this error but sound fine on playback.

Is there something I'm missing here that's causing these strange noises and skips during playback? The CD's are brand new and not scratched or damaged. I rip the files as FLAC (level 5, which seems to be the default) and always get this or a similar message.

Is there a component I'm missing or is there something I can check?

I'm a complete newbie here so if there's anything I can try, I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Ripping CD in FLAC and playback issue

Reply #1
Are you able to try on a different CD drive?

Reply #2
Are you able to try on a different CD drive?

Unfortunately I only have 1 external drive as my laptop doesn't have it's own CD/DVD drive. This has always worked fine when using iTunes. I've never had any issues with that. Is Foobar or FLAC very specific with CD drive requirements?

Reply #3
Is Foobar or FLAC very specific with CD drive requirements?
Not in my experience.  You could try Exact Audio Copy; it's pretty much the standard:
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

CUETools/CUERipper is another option.  Somewhat harder to master, but offers the unique ability to repair minor rip errors:
http://cue.tools/wiki/Main_Page

Even if you use one of these to rip your CDs, you can still use foobar2000 to manage your library.  Just set the rip destination to one of foobar2000's "Media Library" monitored folders.

Reply #4
Is Foobar or FLAC very specific with CD drive requirements?
Not in my experience.  You could try Exact Audio Copy; it's pretty much the standard:
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

CUETools/CUERipper is another option.  Somewhat harder to master, but offers the unique ability to repair minor rip errors:
http://cue.tools/wiki/Main_Page

Even if you use one of these to rip your CDs, you can still use foobar2000 to manage your library.  Just set the rip destination to one of foobar2000's "Media Library" monitored folders.

Thanks. I've downloaded EAC. I'll see how that works. It did some configuring of the CD drive so hopefully that will solve my issue. I'll update this thread when I've ripped some more CDs.

Reply #5
Problem has been solved using EAC. Thanks again for the help @Apesbrain