Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Trying to Compile FLAC 1.3.3 (Read 7795 times) previous topic - next topic

Trying to Compile FLAC 1.3.3

I'm trying to compile FLAC 1.3.3 with MinGW-w64.  Here's the output of one unsuccessful attempt:

--
C:\Users\[Censored]\Downloads\FLAC 1.3.3\flac-1.3.3>mingw32-make -f makefile.lite
(cd src && mingw32-make -f Makefile.lite release)
mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory 'C:/Users/[Censored]/Downloads/FLAC 1.3.3/flac-1.3.3
/src'
mingw32-make[1]: Circular all <- release dependency dropped.
(cd libFLAC ; mingw32-make -f Makefile.lite release)
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, (cd libFLAC ; mingw32-make -f Makefile.lite releas
e), ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
mingw32-make[1]: *** [Makefile.lite:54: libFLAC] Error 2
mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory 'C:/Users/[Censored]/Downloads/FLAC 1.3.3/flac-1.3.3/
src'
mingw32-make: *** [makefile.lite:53: src] Error 2
--

Can someone help?

Re: Trying to Compile FLAC 1.3.3

Reply #1
Looks like that makefile is not designed for MinGW. That’s not unusual. More often than not MinGW is a second class citizen at best. Try FLAC’s CMake build system instead:

Code: [Select]
cd path/to/flac/source/code
md _build
cd _build
cmake .. -G "MinGW Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
mingw32-make -j2

-j is the number of parallel jobs to run. More jobs means faster compilation on multicore processors. But keep it lowish. Make on Windows is known to be unreliable with lots of jobs.

I don’t have a working MinGW environment at my fingertips, so this is just the general sequence of commands to call. I don’t know if FLAC’s CMake build system is MinGW compatible.