Skip to main content
Topic: Playback Statistics Component Questions (Read 241 times) previous topic - next topic

Playback Statistics Component Questions

I just started using Playback Statistics, but I have a few questions that the wiki was unable to answer for me:
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Components_0.9/Playback_Statistics_(foo_playcount)

1. What is the criteria for a song being counted as "a play"?  Does it have to be played all the way through, halfway, 90%, etc?
2. Suppose I change some of the tags of an audio file with an external application (not Foobar2000).  Since the statistics are determined using some of the tags, if I change them with an external application, Playback Statistics would have no way to know about it unless I tell it manually, somehow.  How can I recover the playback statistics for that track?  I tried looking through the exported XML file, but it appears the identifying information is hashed, so I can't recover it that way.
3. Is the playback statistics data stored somewhere in %appdata%?  What is the exact filepath where the stats are stored?

I would really appreciate if all my questions can be answered.  @Peter?  Thank you very much.

Re: Playback Statistics Component Questions

Reply #1
Better link:
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Components/Playback_Statistics_v3.x_(foo_playcount)

1. One minute playback time or the track completely played.
2. The tracked tags are: artist + album + disc number + track number + track title.

If the external edit happens while foobar is not running, I would expect it not detecting that it's the same file. If foobar is running and actively monitoring that folder, you might have a shot, but I have not tested either scenario. You can do that yourself with a dummy file.

In any case playback statistics are kept up to 4 weeks since the track was last seen so you don't immediately lose them.

You already found the export option. You can use it on a subset of tracks to back up the data. Then you can apply it on the "new" files.

I believe the actual database is at 'foobar2000/index-data/C653739F-14B3-4EF2-819B-A3E2883230AE', but you shouldn't mess with it directly.

If you have further questions it's possible they were answered here:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,82420.0.html

Reply #2
Better link:
LINK ;)

(The wiki redirects from the same link they posted, meanwhile the forum leaves out the closing bracket)

2. Since the statistics are determined using some of the tags, if I change them with an external application, Playback Statistics would have no way to know about it unless I tell it manually, somehow.  How can I recover the playback statistics for that track?
I think you would have to undo the changes back to what PS is expecting, which recovers the stats, and redo the tag changes within foobar.

I had to do this once when I changed a %date% on another PC and replaced the files - put it back to what it was, stats thankfully returned, then re-tag.

3. Is the playback statistics data stored somewhere in %appdata%?  What is the exact filepath where the stats are stored?
It depends on whether a portable installation. If not the install folder, the config folder - (hold shift key) File menu > Browse configuration folder. Then as mentioned, 'index-data' (etc...)

Cheers

Reply #3
Thanks for the information.  However, for my second question, I understand that I would have to use Foobar2000 to change the tags to preserve the statistics, but I want to know what steps I can take to recover that information if I were to change the tags with an external application.

My point is that I would be unable to edit the exported XML file directly since I can't know which stats correspond to which track (since the identifying information is hashed), so I don't know which information to copy to the new entry that appears when a track's tag changes.

Does anybody know how to reverse the hash back into to identifying information?

Reply #4
They are sorted exactly in the same order as on the playlist you exported them from.

So you can basically load your whole music library alphabetically on a playlist, export the stats to xml, open them as a spreadsheet and then just copy artist/album/nn/title/whatever to new columns beside:

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019