Skip to main content
Topic: 24 bit WMA Lossless decoding broken in Windows 10 1809 (Read 1262 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 24 bit WMA Lossless decoding broken in Windows 10 1809

Reply #25
holy cow! sorry for my bad english, no question. :)
"WMA is likely to be depreciated in Windows before long, but it won't really matter since it has all been reverse engineered and implemented in ffmpeg."
I thought it was about encoding.

Reply #26
holy cow! sorry for my bad english, no question. :)
"WMA is likely to be depreciated in Windows before long, but it won't really matter since it has all been reverse engineered and implemented in ffmpeg."
I thought it was about encoding.

No, decoding so that people can play existing files.  WMA Lossless is a nearly dead format, so hopefully no one is making new files, only converting to something modern. 

Reply #27
Since I know my sole 24-bit WMA-LL doesn't work (in 1809, that is), if it's simple for you, how about uploading here a 24-bit WMA-LL that works for you.
Sorry for getting back at this only now! Here's a short sample created with GoldWave that plays fine in Groove and with my own MF decoder implementation. Neither foobar2000 nor GoldWave nor fre:ac can play this though.

Reply #29
This shows how it is here:  https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,117300.new.html
Sounds exactly like what I get in fre:ac with the Media Format SDK based decoder. I'll try to get a Media Foundation based decoder running in fre:ac probably this weekend to compare to the (working) one I built at my workplace.

Reply #30
Sounds exactly like what I get in fre:ac with the Media Format SDK based decoder. I'll try to get a Media Foundation based decoder running in fre:ac probably this weekend to compare to the (working) one I built at my workplace.

I should have taken the time to just look at the wav data.  This is wrong right from the very first m_IsrcReaderPtr->ReadSample().  The 1803*.wav -- correct in every way -- at

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,117300.new.html

is from the same EXE that made the two 1809*.wav files.  Two 1809s because each run has different PCM data.  Wrong data, of course.  I tried this in Windows 10 19H1N1 and still a problem there.

Reply #31
Looking at the only place that matters, these

ConvertToContiguousBuffer(&ImediaBufferPtr);
 :
 Lock(&sampleBufferPtr, nullptr, &sampleBufferBytes);

show the data at sampleBufferPtr (for those bytes) are not decoded wma, but what look like unitialized process heap.  For example, the first 128 bits are obviously two 64-bit pointers with addresses close to the process followed by 00s (but I've seen other garbage at other times).  The same code decodes 16-bit wma lossless without a problem (and also fine for mp3, aac, all other wma, and adpcm; for flac, vorbis, opus, and alac I use xiph and apple source).  Just for the record, this same code works fine for this same 24-bit wma lossless file in 1803 and before.  And no, no reported errors along the way.  For now, I'll wait and see if this becomes a known problem, with a fix.

Reply #32
WMA Lossless is a nearly dead format, so hopefully no one is making new files, only converting to something modern. 
Part of my processing bumps up the sample rate to 48kHz for more accuracy (in declipping). WMA doesn't have the option to store 48kHz in 16 bit.
I suppose I could join the free lossless audio codec bandwagon. I'm just not sure if I've forgiven some people for the attitude they had towards those who didn't use it soon after it came out. More so, I don't want my attitude to change into theirs, if I change.

Reply #34
I'm just not sure if I've forgiven some people for the attitude they had towards those who didn't use it soon after it came out. More so, I don't want my attitude to change into theirs, if I change.

FWIW, this is a dumb reason to pick a format, but if you really don't like FLAC, just use one of the half dozen alternatives that are well supported and have actual documentation.  The problem with WMAL is not that it isn't "free", but rather that it isn't documented and that the vendor who produced it lost interest in it almost immediately after launching it. 

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019