Skip to main content
Topic: Channel upmixing & lossy coding (Read 169 times) previous topic - next topic

Channel upmixing & lossy coding

Has anyone tested lossy coding (MP3, AAC, etc) in conjunction with channel upmixing (e.g. Dolby Surround)? Does channel upmixing "break" the psycho-acoustic model, or are they fully compatible?

Re: Channel upmixing & lossy coding

Reply #1
It should be fine.  99.9 % of time there shouldn't be any problems unless you like using very low bit-rates (i.e. 32 kbps or less) or the encoder is bad.

Many DVDs have Dolby Surround encoded tracks that are only 2 channels using the Dolby Digital codec (.ac3) and that is a lossy codec as well.

Re: Channel upmixing & lossy coding

Reply #2
Many DVDs have Dolby Surround encoded tracks that are only 2 channels using the Dolby Digital codec (.ac3) and that is a lossy codec as well.

Actually I meant the "Dolby Surround" introduced in 2014 that supports height channels and all that, not the "Dolby Surround" from the 1980s. It's confusing because they re-used the name.

It's my understanding that lossy codec developers only consider and test the scenario of playing the audio as-is with no further processing. So I wonder whether sophisticated full-bandwidth upmixing could reveal differences that would otherwise be inaudible.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018