Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: is there a way to have a default sorting ? (Read 1779 times) previous topic - next topic

is there a way to have a default sorting ?

Hi
i have used foobar from begining ,after i have used for a while another free program
i'm back Foobar2000's lover

is there a way to have a default sorting?
i have googled a lot and searched
i have found a page here in the forum to add in the  Preferences > Shell Integration > Sort incoming files
Code: [Select]
%ALBUM% - %DISCNUMBER% - %TRACKNUMBER% - %DATE% - %ALBUM ARTIST% - %TITLE%
but when i use album list it does mess up

i have tried in the album list
%<artist>%||%date%|%album%|[[.]%tracknumber%. ][%track artist% - ]%title%

i would like to have a default sorting , artist , date , album , tracks
can i do it?
thanks

Re: is there a way to have a default sorting ?

Reply #1
Hi there,

The "Sort incoming files" in preferences is the default sort for what ends up in the playlist (not Album List). You might as well also use $stripprefix (to remove 'The' and 'A') and make it alphabetical. So something like -
$stripprefix(%album artist%)|%date%|$stripprefix(%album%)|%path_sort%[|%discnumber%]|%tracknumber%|$stripprefix(%title%)

(Note: Facets has its own default sort in preferences)

For the Album List sorting (by artist) you had a few extra '|' not needed, try something like -
%<artist>%|['['%date%']' ]%album%|[%tracknumber%. ][%track artist% - ]%title%

Cheers :)

Reply #2
The "Sort incoming files" in preferences is the default sort for what ends up in the playlist (not Album List). You might as well also use $stripprefix (to remove 'The' and 'A') and make it alphabetical. So something like -
$stripprefix(%album artist%)|%date%|$stripprefix(%album%)|%path_sort%[|%discnumber%]|%tracknumber%|$stripprefix(%title%)

Nice code, anamorphic!  francesco, you might also consider using "$swapprefix" instead of "$stripprefix" if for example you would prefer to see the band "The Runaways" appear as "Runaways, The" in the playlist vs. "Runaways".  Frankly I had completely overlooked the "sort incoming files" option.

Reply #3
Hi there,

(Note: Facets has its own default sort in preferences)

For the Album List sorting (by artist) you had a few extra '|' not needed, try something like -
%<artist>%|['['%date%']' ]%album%|[%tracknumber%. ][%track artist% - ]%title%

hi @anamorphic
thank you so much , i really appreciate you help ,you make my life easier
just la question ,about quicksearch , there is not a sort rule in  preference
i create a new one Test  and %artist% %date% %album% %title%
but it doesn't sort
thank again!

Reply #4
Nice code, anamorphic!  francesco, you might also consider using "$swapprefix" instead of "$stripprefix" if for example you would prefer to see the band "The Runaways" appear as "Runaways, The" in the playlist vs. "Runaways".  Frankly I had completely overlooked the "sort incoming files" option.
Yep, either one works fine for sorting where nothing is displayed. As you say though $swapprefix is probably better to use in playlist views... ;)

hi @anamorphic
thank you so much , i really appreciate you help ,you make my life easier
just la question ,about quicksearch , there is not a sort rule in  preference
i create a new one Test  and %artist% %date% %album% %title%
but it doesn't sort
thank again!
Do you mean foo_quicksearch component? According to this documentation it does not support query sorting.

(In a normal Library > Search you can use SORT BY %artist% etc at the end - see query syntax - although it should default to "sort incoming files" preferences so in most cases there would be no need)