Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to browse FTP folders? (Read 4751 times) previous topic - next topic

How to browse FTP folders?

FTP reader was mentioned in foobar2000 1.4 changelog. But how can I browse remote FTP server with foobar2000? The server has standard login/password authorization.
🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

Re: How to browse FTP folders?

Reply #1
You can't. You also can't add an FTP server to media library. It just enables playing files over ftp link just like has been possible over http.

Reply #2
But how can  I add file from FTP server protected with password?
🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

Reply #3
Add location ftp://user:password@ftpsite.tld/path

Reply #4
By the way: why fb2k doesn't understand paths in the same format as they copied by Filezilla client using command "Copy URL(s) to clipboard" (where spaces replaced to %20 etc.)?

Reply #5
Add location ftp://user:password@ftpsite.tld/path
I tried it. The browser opens the file:
http://audiophilesoft.ru/misc/gman_riseshine.mp3
ftp://audiophilesoft.ru/misc/gman_riseshine.mp3 (browser asks for user/pass )

But when I add it to foobar2000 with ftp://user:pass@audiophilesoft.ru/misc/gman_riseshine.mp3 , I get:

Unable to open item for playback (Object not found):
"ftp://audiophilesoft.ru/misc/gman_riseshine.mp3"

HTTP link works well.
🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

Reply #6
By the way: why fb2k doesn't understand paths in the same format as they copied by Filezilla client using command "Copy URL(s) to clipboard" (where spaces replaced to %20 etc.)?
Probably an oversight.

But when I add it to foobar2000 with ftp://user:pass@audiophilesoft.ru/misc/gman_riseshine.mp3 , I get:

Unable to open item for playback (Object not found):
"ftp://audiophilesoft.ru/misc/gman_riseshine.mp3"

HTTP link works well.
Is that the full path on the FTP server? If you login with FTP client to audiophilesoft.ru is the full path to the example file really /misc/gman_riseshine.mp3 or is it perhaps something like /home/user/misc/gman_riseshine.mp3? foobar2000 requires the path exactly as it is on the server.

Of course it's also possible foobar2000 can't handle the FTP server on the other end. It was tested with quite many implementations but certainly not with every server in existence. If there's some compatibility issue Peter will perhaps need your help in sorting it.

Reply #7
Steve Forte Rio, have you tested you FTP with FTP client, like Filezilla?