Skip to main content
Topic: Linux Port (Read 458 times) previous topic - next topic

Linux Port

Hello everyone,

I thought this question would have been asked countless times before, but after searching the forums I didn't find a single post about it. So far i managed my music from my laptop, which runs windows but my PC runs Arch Linux and recently i wanted to install Arch on my laptop as well and move my library to my PC. I looked at all the different alternatives to Foobar I could find, and while a lot of them a really nice none of them are quite as feature-rich or customizable as foobar is. This is a problem since I organize my music in a somewhat inconventional way any I want my library to be perfect. So I wondered, will there ever be a linux port? Since this software is relatively old I'm sure someone must have thought about this before and I guess if it was decided foobar would not be ported to linux there are good reasons.

Re: Linux Port

Reply #1
Look into WINE.

People on this forum seemed to have decent success using foobar with it.

Reply #2
I have done that and besides the issues with the GUI and window style being different I see no point in using Linux when I end up emulating windows programs anyway. Foobar seems to follow the Linux mindset rather than that of windows anyway.

Reply #3
I thought this question would have been asked countless times before, but after searching the forums I didn't find a single post about it.

Search in foobar2000 subforums (General, Support) - you'll find plenty of threads about Linux.

Reply #4
Ah, apparently i have been looking in the wrong section. Why will there be no port then? It seems to be one of the most requested things. And considering how many people would use it on linux since hardly any other music player/manager could compete with it, it seems quite illogical not to port it. I read that one reason is the huge amount of work required, especially since foobar's source will not be published. But it would definitely be a step in the right direction, a very big one. I'm sure there are developers willing to help porting it.

Reply #6
I have already become a multi platform coding cyborg, dealing with Android, iOS, Mac and UWP - apart from Windows desktop which I sorely miss as it's the only thing I feel really competent at.

Mac port happened because I've become halfway competent at making Mac UI while working on unrelated commercial projects. With Linux I'd have to learn from scratch.

Anyway, I'm not outright declining Linux port, but it's not happening during forseeable future.

Reply #7
I have already become a multi platform coding cyborg, dealing with Android, iOS, Mac and UWP - apart from Windows desktop which I sorely miss as it's the only thing I feel really competent at.

Mac port happened because I've become halfway competent at making Mac UI while working on unrelated commercial projects. With Linux I'd have to learn from scratch.

Anyway, I'm not outright declining Linux port, but it's not happening during forseeable future.

I'm sure it will be excellently received in the linux community. There's a lot of music players but nothing as complete as foobar2000 and 
although it works pretty well through wine a native application is always better and less problematic.

And you can take it like a personal challenge, exploring new fields :P

Reply #9
I have already become a multi platform coding cyborg, dealing with Android, iOS, Mac and UWP

That is understandable, but I hope it will happen someday. Maybe you can find someone who can take on developing a linux version.

Reply #10
I'm sure it will be excellently received in the linux community.
A closed-source program? Not so sure.

Why not?

One can be a fan of open source and respect the good software although it be closed source.

Not everybody is a Zealot.

Even the FSF has celebrate the buy of github from Microsoft.

And microsoft itself has become one of the most actives actors in open soft world.

The times has changed a lot my friend.

And foobar2000 is a very loved piece of software and longed for a lot of people that miss it a lot when change to linux from his windows boxes.

Reply #11
Had you considered using Qt for the desktop version(s)? (Mac or otherwise)

Reply #12
And make fb2k 100mb or more thanks to Qt bloat?

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018