Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mp3Gain ruined my files! (Read 3703 times) previous topic - next topic

Mp3Gain ruined my files!

Yesterday I downloaded the latest version of mp3gain from :
http://www.geocities.com/mp3gain/

I ran it on a recent collection of my mp3 files that I did not yet backup. Before I used the previous version with succes.
I adjusted the gain of the files via the 'Radio Gain' option.
But now all of my files are corrupt: mp3 utility resports corrupted/missing frame headers. Also Mp3trim reports errors
I strongly advise everybody not to use Mp3gain anymore before this one is fixed.

An example of errors reported by mp3 utility:

Processing: D:mp3test15_Walk On_U2.mp3

Error: Sync error reading frame header 51 expected at byte 32,933.  Approx. time: 0:01 (0% through audio).
Resync successful - Frame header 51 found at byte 33,064.
Frame 50 (bytes 32,307 - 33,063) long by 131 bytes (expected 626 bytes, found 757 bytes).

Error: Sync error reading frame header 68 expected at byte 43,722.  Approx. time: 0:02 (0% through audio).
Resync successful - Frame header 68 found at byte 43,591.
Frame 67 (bytes 43,095 - 43,590) short by 131 bytes (expected 627 bytes, found 496 bytes).

Error: Sync error reading frame header 149 expected at byte 94,373.  Approx. time: 0:04 (1% through audio).
Resync successful - Frame header 149 found at byte 94,504.
Frame 148 (bytes 93,747 - 94,503) long by 131 bytes (expected 626 bytes, found 757 bytes).

Mp3Gain ruined my files!

Reply #1
Did you run mp3utility on the files before you ran mp3gain on them?

I just now downloaded mp3gain GUI 0.7.1 and back end 1.0.4 from my own site to a computer that's never had mp3gain installed, and tested it on a few mp3s (did Radio Gain). No problems.

There still could be a problem, possibly even a serious one. I'm not an inhumanly perfect coder
But I haven't seen a major corruption problem like this before.
Still, if anyone's concerned, I recommend making back-ups. Always have.

Could you post one of your corrupted mp3s somewhere where I can take a look at it?

-Glen

Mp3Gain ruined my files!

Reply #2
Thanks alot for your quick reaction Glen, but it seems that the problems is already solved.
I ran mp3gain on another computer at a friend's home and burned the files on a CD an brought them home.
Now I checked it  and the original files are all ok.
So it seems that something went wrong in the burning process.
Sorry for blaming the great mp3gain in advance ..

Mp3Gain ruined my files!

Reply #3
Originally posted by Hanky
Sorry for blaming the great mp3gain...

No problem.

Heh. Calling it "the great mp3gain" makes me picture the Wizard of Oz. A giant greenish face with a booming voice saying, "How dare you question the great and powerful mp3gain?"
If I tried doing that, not only would some little dog come tear down the curtain and unveil scrawny little me pulling levers, but the dog would also probably decide to take a big bite out of my trousers...