Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Right Click to Play in Foobar2000? (Read 5937 times) previous topic - next topic

Right Click to Play in Foobar2000?

When I right-click any of my many music folders in Windows Explorer I'm presented with lots of options.  Two of those are 'Play in Winamp' and 'Play using Windows Media Player'.  How can I enable that same functionality for foobar2000?

Re: Right Click to Play in Foobar2000?

Reply #1
The feature is disabled by default but can be enabled under Preferences -> Shell Integration. Tick the "Folder context menus" checkbox.

Reply #2
The feature is disabled by default but can be enabled under Preferences -> Shell Integration. Tick the "Folder context menus" checkbox.
Thanks.  It sort of works.  And sort of doesn't.  I've never actually noticed this before (I usually use WinAmp) but only about half of my music folders show WMPlayer as a player when right-clicking.  Those folders where WMP displays do not show foobar2000.  Only those folders where WMP does not display show foobar2000. 

Reply #3
What OS do you use? Maybe you need to deinstall wm player.

Reply #4
^ This. I remember there were already reports that wmp can conflict with shell integration so disabling it will solve the problem.
I have done that and I only use foobar and no problems so far.
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #5
And of course WMP is the device I use to burn CDs....

Reply #6
You can burn CDs with foobar too using foo_burninate plugin or with ImgBurn which is great.
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #7
When I right-click any of my many music folders in Windows Explorer I'm presented with lots of options.  Two of those are 'Play in Winamp' and 'Play using Windows Media Player'.  How can I enable that same functionality for foobar2000?

All you need just installed F2K + Preferences -> Shell Integration , but when you use portable F2k these options not available.

Reply #8
And of course WMP is the device I use to burn CDs....
CD BurnerXP is free and allows you to record all kinds of CDs, DVDs, etc (data, CD-DA, images), changing filesystems (UDF/ISO) and many more. And is compatible with Win7/10, despite its name.

Reply #9
Like practically every other technical forum I assumed I'd easily be able to to include some attachments to show you guys the difference in my context menu when right clicking different music folders.  Unless I'm missing something incredibly elementary, 'easily' seems to be a no-can-do.  I'd have to upload the images to a hoster, then provide the URL for each image.  Seems like a lot of work.  If there's an easier method, kindly let me know.

I don't know why on some folders my context menu has the options 'Play With Windows Media Player' and 'Add to Windows Media Player list'.  And I don't know that if I find some way to remove them from the context menu that the 'Play in foobar2000' will work.   And of course I don't know why the WMP options are missing on some folder's context menus, and why the foobar2000 option is visible (and working) on those folders.

Everybody here has been very helpful.  When I started this journey on the hydrogen audio general forum it was because I need help with removing spaces or gaps in some of my MP3 files.  Now I'm changing my playback device, my music editor, and now even the one item I thought was beyond scrutiny - my burning software - is being questioned.  Isn't there a way I can at least keep that and still have foobar2000 show on my context menu on all of my music folders?   

Reply #10
I'm using Windows 10 and I personally use this and this registries. My intention using this is to keep WMP installed so I can use it via "Open With" anytime I need, also some of my chm book need it and make foobar2000 shell integration working. I honestly don't know if there's side effect of using these. Maybe better to wait feedback from more experience or expert member here before using it.

Reply #11
Isn't there a way I can at least keep that and still have foobar2000 show on my context menu on all of my music folders?   

Try to set foobar as a default audio player and see if that works.
Disabling wmp will definitely solve the problem. After that I have foobar in every folder context menu even if there is no music in it.

Tell me why, tell me why