192 kbps
224 kbps
256 kbps
280 kbps
320 kbps
350 kbps
More than 350 kbps

Voting closes: 2018-12-31 16:45:53

Topic: What is the bitrate of your Opus files? (Read 3637 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What is the bitrate of your Opus files?

Reply #25
I basically see Opus as a slightly more efficient version of AAC and to get those benefits it seem to be 96kbps-ish and lower as once you get into the 128kbps+ ranges your probably better off using Apple AAC for compatibility sake.

Compatibility isn't the only concern that matters to some people. Even if Opus and Apple AAC are roughly equivalent at bitrates of 128+kbps I still vastly prefer to use an open, non-proprietary, codec. One of the most amazing things about Opus is that it is free AND is at least on par with - if not better than - most other audio codecs

Reply #26
Interesting so many users prefer 128k over 96. Is that because of hearing true artifacts or to ensure sufficient buffer above the point of transparency?

Reply #27
@Deathcrow

Compatibility isn't the only concern that matters to some people. Even if Opus and Apple AAC are roughly equivalent at bitrates of 128+kbps I still vastly prefer to use an open, non-proprietary, codec. One of the most amazing things about Opus is that it is free AND is at least on par with - if not better than - most other audio codecs

Yeah, Opus is solid as it's basically #1 as the only obvious thing going against it is hardware support of which, as you already know, MP3/AAC are easily the most widely supported. but if your device supports Opus, I prefer it over those two and at this point in time I figure it's not worth using any other lossy formats besides MP3/AAC/Opus.

in fact, I just started (roughly in the last 2-3 days or so) using Opus @ 64kbps(for less important music) and 80kbps(for more important music) as I got a hold of a older phone (Huawei y336-A1 (which I rooted with Kingroot)) which I just use mainly for a portable music player and installed the mobile version of Foobar2000 on it and it works great with Opus. running a benchmark (in Foobar2000 mobile on the phone) on the Opus files I made(from FLAC of course), with one CPU core, it decodes the Opus files a little over 40x real-time. it sips battery to as I used it for roughly 40min-1hr earlier and the phones battery only dropped about 3% or so.

I got a 8GB MicroSD card in the phone so in order to fit my entire music collection in it, using Opus was even more beneficial as before my general music collection took up roughly 10-11GB with 128kbps AAC(for more important music)/96kbps AAC(for less important music). but now, while I don't have everything in the phone yet, it's a little less than 4GB with the 64kbps/80kbps Opus combo. I would imagine if I got everything on it, probably won't go over about 5GB.

p.s. funny thing is... I had that old phone no one was using laying around for a little while now but I never even thought to use it for Opus playback on the go as it just popped into my head to try it and it worked great.

side note: I was recently playing with AAC and I was surprised that AAC-LC @ 64kbps that TVBR mode sounds noticeably better than CVBR mode and not only that the CVBR file was actually a bit higher bit rate than the TVBR file. like when ABXing, without even finishing the test, it was pretty easy for me to tell what was the FLAC file and what was the CVBR file given the CVBR file had a muffled sound to the overall sound where as with the TVBR file that was not there which makes it more difficult to tell the TVBR from the FLAC as I got to pay more attention to random artifacts as it's not as obvious since the TVBR sound has a similar clarity to the FLAC in a basic sense which is missing in the CVBR file which make that one easy to spot. but I noticed in Foobar2000 when encoding 64kbps Apple AAC files is that when using TVBR it does not attempt to use any AAC-HE mode (or the like) where as when using CVBR it wants to use that AAC-HE mode as I had to uncheck that option so it used AAC-LC.

@Anakunda

Interesting so many users prefer 128k over 96. Is that because of hearing true artifacts or to ensure sufficient buffer above the point of transparency?

Yeah, I would not be surprised if for some it's sort of a safety buffer especially with Opus given it seems to do quite well at 96kbps. hell, I would imagine I might even be able to claim that Opus @ 80kbps might be roughly equivalent to Apple AAC @ 96kpbs(?).

but in general I feel with modern encoders anything above 128kbps basically loses efficiency for sure as it seems like once you go beyond that, the gains are pretty much minimal if not very minimal. so basically... I think in most situations 128kbps is more than enough bit rate for quality sound.

but anyways, I can't imagine many disliking 96kbps Opus given the sound tests from 2014 show it scores pretty darn good... https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,106911.0.html ; so given that test, which is 96kbps setting for Opus, it seems like beyond 128kbps would be overkill and mostly a waste of disc space for most people. that's kind of why I see Opus to be mainly worth using in the 96kbps and lower ranges since that's when Opus is at it's best as at the higher bit rates (say 128kbps or higher, especially higher) it seems like you can just pretty much pick whatever format you want and they are all roughly the same.

as for myself... I seem to be similar to some others around here where 80kbps (for Opus) is pretty much high enough for me, especially when I am trying to squeeze the file size down as much as I can etc. although 64kbps is still quite usable for me even though I went with 80kbps as a little bit of a safety buffer for me on my more important music.

but at the end of the day... I could see how many would see the 128kbps rate as the 'just use it and forget about it' setting as if you rip your music collection at that rate you won't need to re-rip it again for lack of quality and yet it's still efficient. that's sort of why I got the 'I suggest 128kbps for most people' in my signature for Apple AAC and one could probably apply that to Opus to (even though Opus @ 96kbps might be close enough to the general 128kbps option) as 128kbps seems to be that setting to where it's that great balance between efficiency, but not taking any shortcuts on sound quality either.

p.s. I voted for the 64kbps setting in the poll but I probably should have went with 80kbps especially if Opus @ 80kbps is roughly equivalent to Apple AAC @ 96kbps as it seems like with Apple AAC that 96kbps is sort of a minimum around here for quality sound for Apple AAC. still, Opus @ 64kbps is still quite respectable if one is a bit more concerned with file size than sound quality but not sacrificing overall sound quality too much.
For Music...
-The sweet spot for Apple AAC = 96kbps (q45 TVBR) or 128kbps (q64 TVBR). I suggest 128kbps for most people.
-The sweet spot for Opus (with maximum efficiency) = 80kbps or 96kbps. 64kbps is a respectable option.
-[FLAC to AAC/Opus using Foobar2000]

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018