Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 1.4 Beta 3: (A Maybe Screen Reader Issue - UI Does not Always Wrap (Read 783 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 1.4 Beta 3: (A Maybe Screen Reader Issue - UI Does not Always Wrap

Hello,

I'm testing the current beta and maybe I found an issue.
Don't know if it's related or not, but I'm a screen reader user and I have found that the UI does not always wrap when tabbing through the interface. I have tested multiple layouts included in foobar by default, some of them behave like expected, but in some cases when tabbing through the different elements of the UI the focus does not change no matter how many times you press the tab key. So far it seems to me, that this problem occurs when the layout contains the album list element.

If the layout contains the album list the focus gets stuck once you move to the filter edit field. Another (and I'm happy to say positive) thing to note is that moving backwards via shift + tab works just as it should.

Have fun!

Re: Foobar2000 1.4 Beta 3: (A Maybe Screen Reader Issue - UI Does not Always Wrap

Reply #1
I have examined the interface further and the preferences dialog has tabbing issues as well. I went through all the pages and sub-pages and these are the 3 problematic ones. Hopefully I haven't left out anything.

Display
Display/Default User Interface
Display/Default User Interface/Background and Notifications

Based on these findings I'd say that this is not related to my screen reader in any way.

Re: Foobar2000 1.4 Beta 3: (A Maybe Screen Reader Issue - UI Does not Always Wrap

Reply #2
And yet another issue of this nature. This one is probably more tricky on the programming end, but can be easily reproduced.
When adding a new keyboard shortcut the focus gets stuck on the "Filter by" edit field if you leave it blank. If you enter something into this field and press tab, the next control will receive focus just as it should. The interesting part is that if you then shift+tab back to the "Filter by" edit field and delete what you previously entered into it, tabbing forward will work as expected. So, to sum it up, to tab through the whole add new keyboard shortcut dialog, you must enter something into the "Filter by" box at least once.
Similarly to the other cases I mentioned, this problem seems to occur only when pressing the tab key - shift + tab behaves normal.

Reply #3
I have tested the above principle on the filter box in the album list panel and it behaves exactly the same. This gave me the idea to get a closer look at the individual pages and the common denominator seems to be edit fields - filters in most cases, but this does not appear to be a rule.

These are the items that behave just like my previous examples:
Preferences -> Display -> Stub image path (edit field)
Preferences -> Display -> Default User Interface -> Background and Notifications -> -> Customize icon

Further Testing and Issue Update

I guess that the page "Display -> Default User Interface" is somehow linked to the "Display -> Default User Interface -> Background and Notifications" page. I no longer get stuck on this page when tabbing through, but I think it's because last time when saving my preferences by pressing the OK button I had something entered in the Stub image path edit field. The best way to test this behavior is probably to start off in the preferences window with blank values and making sure that you don't have anything entered into them before saving your settings. Perhaps this is another bug - if you enter something in the Stub image path edit field and save it by pressing the OK button and reopen the preferences dialog and than delete the contents of the Stub image path field (and save your settings again), on reopening the preferences dialog the previous (nonblank) value will be back in the edit field.

Reply #4
Bug confirmed, thanks for reporting.
All these editboxes use shared code responsible for injecting buttons, so once I fix the cause every single of them will behave properly.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #5
Thanks, Peter, cool... 😊