Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to display embedded artwork or artwork file (Read 3292 times) previous topic - next topic

How to display embedded artwork or artwork file

Hi everybody, here's what I'd like to achieve (with the standard artwork component) :
- If the selected track has embedded artwork, display it
- If the selected track doesn't have embedded artwork, display the album artwork located in a specific folder

So far and despite a lot of efforts, I haven't been able to achieve this. Any hints ? Thanks.

(for the record I have foobar 1.3.9, I plan on updating to 1.4.0 when it's stable)

Re: How to display embedded artwork or artwork file

Reply #1
Hi everybody, here's what I'd like to achieve (with the standard artwork component) :
- If the selected track has embedded artwork, display it
- If the selected track doesn't have embedded artwork, display the album artwork located in a specific folder

So far and despite a lot of efforts, I haven't been able to achieve this. Any hints ? Thanks.

(for the record I have foobar 1.3.9, I plan on updating to 1.4.0 when it's stable)

Isn't that the way it works out of the box? It does for me, as long as the folder's image is properly named according to Preferences | Display | Album Art.

Reply #2
Well, for me it doesn't :
- Either my prefs > display > album art are set accordingly, and then the album covers are displayed for every track of any given album, even if individual tracks have different embedded covers,
- Or I leave prefs > display > album empty, and then all the embedded track covers are displayed, but of course I lose all the album covers.

For titleformat lovers, here's the code that I put into prefs > display > album. There are 13 different ways/paths to look for my album artwork, because my album artwork can be named in many ways :
- A regular album artwork can be named : Album artist - (Year) Album title.jpg
- A compilation album can be named : Album title (Year).jpg
- A remastered album can be named : Album artist - (Original Year-Remaster Year) Album title [RM].jpg (to differentiate it from the original edition that I may own too)
- Plus there are singles, OSTs, classical music, CD boxes... you get the idea.

Code: [Select]
$puts(a,$replace(%path%,D:\AUDIO,D:\AUDIO\ARTWORK))$left($get(a),$sub($strstr($get(a),%directoryname%),2))\%directoryname%.jpg
$puts(a,$replace(%path%,D:\AUDIO,D:\AUDIO\ARTWORK))$left($get(a),$sub($strstr($get(a),%directoryname%),2)) - %directoryname%.jpg
$puts(a,$replace(%path%,D:\AUDIO,D:\AUDIO\ARTWORK))$left($get(a),$sub($strstr($get(a),%directoryname%),2))'\('[$left(%original release date%,4)-]$left(%date%,4)') '$replace(%album%,'?','_',':','-','/','-')[' ['%edition%']'][' ('$if($strcmp($strchr(1234567890,$left(%discnumber%,1)),0),,'CD ')%discnumber%')'].jpg
$puts(a,$replace(%path%,D:\AUDIO,D:\AUDIO\ARTWORK))$left($get(a),$sub($strstr($get(a),%directoryname%),2))' - ('[$left(%original release date%,4)-]$left(%date%,4)') '$replace(%album%,'?','_',':','-','/','-')[' ['%edition%']'][' ('$if($strcmp($strchr(1234567890,$left(%discnumber%,1)),0),,'CD ')%discnumber%')'].jpg
$puts(a,$replace(%path%,D:\AUDIO,D:\AUDIO\ARTWORK))$left($get(a),$sub($strstr($get(a),%directoryname%),2))'\('%original production date%') '$replace(%album%,'?','_',':','-','/','-')[' ['%edition%']'][' ('$if($strcmp($strchr(1234567890,$left(%discnumber%,1)),0),,'CD ')%discnumber%')'].jpg
$puts(a,$replace(%path%,D:\AUDIO,D:\AUDIO\ARTWORK))$left($get(a),$sub($strstr($get(a),%directoryname%),2))' - ('%original production date%') '$replace(%album%,'?','_',':','-','/','-')[' ['%edition%']'][' ('$if($strcmp($strchr(1234567890,$left(%discnumber%,1)),0),,'CD ')%discnumber%')'].jpg
$puts(a,$replace(%path%,D:\AUDIO,D:\AUDIO\ARTWORK))$left($get(a),$sub($strstr($get(a),%directoryname%),2))'\('[$left(%original release date%,4)-]$left(%date%,4)') ['Single'] '$replace(%single%,'?','_',':','-','/','-').jpg
$puts(a,$replace(%path%,D:\AUDIO,D:\AUDIO\ARTWORK))$left($get(a),$sub($strstr($get(a),%directoryname%),2))' - ('[$left(%original release date%,4)-]$left(%date%,4)') ['Single'] '$replace(%single%,'?','_',':','-','/','-').jpg
$replace($directory_path($directory_path($directory_path(%path%))),Z:\SYNC\AUDIO,X:\ARTWORK,AUDIO,ARTWORK) - $directory(%path%,2)\$directory(%path%,1).jpg

$puts(a,$replace(%path%,D:\AUDIO,D:\AUDIO\ARTWORK))$left($get(a),$sub($strstr($get(a),%directoryname%),2))'\('%original production date%') ['Single'] '$replace(%single%,'?','_',':','-','/','-').jpg
$puts(a,$replace(%path%,D:\AUDIO,D:\AUDIO\ARTWORK))$left($get(a),$sub($strstr($get(a),%directoryname%),2))' - ('%original production date%') ['Single'] '$replace(%single%,'?','_',':','-','/','-').jpg
$replace($directory_path($directory_path($directory_path(%path%))),Z:\SYNC\AUDIO,X:\ARTWORK,AUDIO,ARTWORK) - $directory(%path%,2) - $directory(%path%,1).jpg

$puts(a,$replace(%path%,D:\AUDIO,D:\AUDIO\ARTWORK))$left($get(a),$sub($strstr($get(a),%directoryname%),2))\$replace(%directoryname%,$substr(%directoryname%,$sub($strchr(%directoryname%,'['),1),$strchr(%directoryname%,']')),).jpg
$puts(a,$replace(%path%,D:\AUDIO,D:\AUDIO\ARTWORK))$left($get(a),$sub($strstr($get(a),%directoryname%),2)) - $replace(%directoryname%,$substr(%directoryname%,$sub($strchr(%directoryname%,'['),1),$strchr(%directoryname%,']')),).jpg
So yes, it's pretty complicated. But it has been working beautifully for all my albums these last few years... except for the fact that I can't see the embedded track covers.

Reply #3
Well, for me it doesn't :
- Either my prefs > display > album art are set accordingly, and then the album covers are displayed for every track of any given album, even if individual tracks have different embedded covers,
- Or I leave prefs > display > album empty, and then all the embedded track covers are displayed, but of course I lose all the album covers.

Yes, you're right. I spoke from memory, always a dangerous thing to do. I checked just now and the behavior is as you describe: the folder image overrides the individual embedded track images. I don't know how to change that behavior, but I'd like to know if it's possible, too.

Reply #4
Take a look at Preferences -> Advanced -> Display -> Album art.

Reply #5
Wow. @Case , you solved my issue in 30 seconds. "Prefer embedded" was the key.
I would never have thought it would be buried in the Advanced prefs.
You rule, man !
BTW do you have any idea on how to solve this cover-related issue with EsPlaylist ? https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,79030.msg950982.html#msg950982

Reply #6
I don't know anything about EsPlaylist, sorry. I gave it a try and it appeared to only show album art in grouped view. With for example the album grouping the art was always shown with respect to the core's album art configuration. Though any changes to cover paths only had effect after restarting the player.