Skip to main content
Topic: CaTRoX (QWR Edition): fb2k theme (Read 5774 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: CaTRoX (QWR Edition): fb2k theme

Reply #75
So, this is slightly tangential to the purpose of this thread, but I need some help ripping off your shit ;)

I finally decided I needed to switch from my version of Catrox's playlist circa 2013 to your version, after trying out your theme and seeing how silky smooth everything operated. Really awesome work, and the code is a billion times cleaner. So I copied all the code from your playlist panel, and tried to cram it into my theme.

My theme is just a single JScript panel, with no PSS's to be found. Your playlist assumes that it will take up the entire space of a panel. It wasn't too much work to shrink the playlist to the appropriate size in on_size, but now positioning it is turning out to be a pain in the ass.

It looks like PlaylistManager and Playlist both get initialized with x/y set to 0, but it doesn't look like there's a way to reposition them after creation, and when I try to hack it in the on_size, things go terribly wrong.

Do you have any ideas here? I'll keep plugging away at it, but at the moment I'm not making much progress on this front.

Edit: One other thing you might be able to help with. Everytime I update the playlist (i.e. due to a on_playlist_XXXX event) I get a crash in this.init_rows Fixed this. Hadn't deleted my Row constructor  O:)

Reply #76
Nevermind. Took me about 4 hours, and some head to desk, but I finally got it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I saw you had some comments in initialize_rows about array[ i] being a lot faster, but I noticed you didn't maximize your gains. Using direct index instead of .push ought to show noticeable savings on really large playlists as it's twice as fast in modern browsers. I'd expect IE9's difference might even be more pronounced.

Code: [Select]
function initialize_rows(playlist_items, playlist_size) {
        // Magic! For some reason using array[i] instead of IFbMetadbHandleList.Item(i) greatly increases performance :\
        var playlist_items_arr = [];
        for (var i = 0; i < playlist_size; ++i) {
            playlist_items_arr[i] = playlist_items.Item(i);
        }

var rows = [];
        for (var i = 0; i < playlist_size; ++i) {
            rows[i] = new Row(that.list_x, 0, that.list_w, that.row_h, playlist_items_arr[i], i, cur_playlist_idx);
            if (!g_properties.show_header) {
                rows[i].is_odd = (i + 1) % 2;
            }
        }

return rows;
    }

Reply #77
I saw you had some comments in initialize_rows about array[ i] being a lot faster, but I noticed you didn't maximize your gains. Using direct index instead of .push ought to show noticeable savings on really large playlists as it's twice as fast in modern browsers. I'd expect IE9's difference might even be more pronounced.
Welp, dunno about twice the performance, but it did yield me 10-15% in rows initialization speed and 6.5-7% in total playlist initialization speed, thanks!

PS: See https://stackoverflow.com/questions/614126/why-is-array-push-sometimes-faster-than-arrayn-value, i.e. it's not always viable to replace push() with [idx] =)

Nevermind. Took me about 4 hours, and some head to desk, but I finally got it.
Congrats =) But, IMO, you should've added this to PlaylistPanel instead (+ pass the x,y to the PlaylistManager and Playlist ctors).

Adding 'Disc' separator Row (like you did in your theme) won't be that simple though...
Also there is another problem: playlist's bottom part is cropped by the panel in my theme. Since you don't have that you'll have to crop it yourself somehow.
Additionally, FontAwesome is needed for some icons (like the Lock icon above the scrollbar).

Fell free to ask if you have any further questions about the script ;)

Reply #78
Welp, dunno about twice the performance, but it did yield me 10-15% in rows initialization speed and 6.5-7% in total playlist initialization speed, thanks!
Awesome! I meant just the insert to the array was 2x over .push. I'm pleasantly surprised the gains were that big (I didn't have time to test last night). Figured it would definitely be noticeable on 1-2k entry playlists.

Congrats =) But, IMO, you should've added this to PlaylistPanel instead (+ pass the x,y to the PlaylistManager and Playlist ctors).

Adding 'Disc' separator Row (like you did in your theme) won't be that simple though...
Also there is another problem: playlist's bottom part is cropped by the panel in my theme. Since you don't have that you'll have to crop it yourself somehow.
Additionally, FontAwesome is needed for some icons (like the Lock icon above the scrollbar).

Fell free to ask if you have any further questions about the script ;)
I mistyped. I added it to the PlaylistPanel.on_size, and not Playlist.on_size. I'm nervous about the disc separator, but I'm also determined, so we'll see how it goes :D

I solved the cropping problem last night. You were already using a clipImg (which wasn't being clipped  8) ) so I updated Playlist.on_paint to have this code:
        if (this.items_to_draw.length) {
            var that = this;
            _.forEachRight(this.items_to_draw, function (item) {
    item.draw(gr, that.y, that.y + that.h);
            }, that);
Then I have Header.draw call those two variables top and bottom, and threw this code at the very bottom of Header.draw_normal_header():
		clipImg.ReleaseGraphics(grClip);
var y = this.y;
var h = this.h;
var srcY = 0;
if (this.y < top) {
y = top;
h = this.h - (top - this.y);
srcY = this.h - h;
} else if (this.y + this.h > bottom) {
h = bottom - this.y;
}
        gr.DrawImage(clipImg, this.x, y, this.w, h, 0, srcY, this.w, h, 0, 255);
        clipImg.Dispose();
The individual rows don't draw to a clip image, so no way to clip the top and bottom rows, but your code is already set up to cover up rows if the list has some spacing around it, so I just used that.

Reply #79
BTW, my To-Do list is:
  • Disc header rows - maybe special case of Row, or a new DiscHeader object, can't decide yet
  • Caching artwork on playlist refresh to avoid reloading images
  • playlist_info to bottom of window - I might hate how this ends up looking
  • Various cosmetic stuff you probably won't care about

To avoid spamming up this thread, are you interested in the first three at all? It might be a little hard for me to do PRs in github since I've changed a few things that I know you DON'T want in the main branch, but I can at least open issues and share code snippets there if you prefer. I can also continue pasting stuff here if you like, or just STFU. :) Let me know what you want.

Reply #80
BTW, my To-Do list is:
  • Disc header rows - maybe special case of Row, or a new DiscHeader object, can't decide yet - actually I've wanted to implement it myself =)
  • Caching artwork on playlist refresh to avoid reloading images - the idea is nice, but it all depends on the implementation (I'm not a fan of quick and dirty solutions =) )
  • playlist_info to bottom of window - I might hate how this ends up looking - this won't be compatible with my theme's looks, so that's a no

To avoid spamming up this thread, are you interested in the first three at all? It might be a little hard for me to do PRs in github since I've changed a few things that I know you DON'T want in the main branch, but I can at least open issues and share code snippets there if you prefer. I can also continue pasting stuff here if you like, or just STFU. :) Let me know what you want.
New feature suggestions or suggestions about modifying the existing ones are fine here, I think.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018