Skip to main content

Topic: need good cable for line out ->amply (Read 807 times) previous topic - next topic

• francesco
  • [*][*][*][*]
need good cable for line out ->amply
hi
i need good cable for line out -> amply
can you advises me some good cable ?

what about these cables
Ugreen RCA Cable 2rca to 3.5 audio cable rca 3.5mm Jack male to male rca aux cable  (. 24 Gold plated contacts for optimum sound quality & Oxygen-free copper provide maximum's conductivity and durability)
&
Belkin Essential Stereo RCA to 3.5mm Audio Cable (24k gold-plated connectors create precise contact for low signal loss)

are they good?
may i know what cable do you use and some advises ?
thanks
have a great day

Re: need good cable for line out ->amply
Reply #1
(. 24 Gold plated contacts for optimum sound quality & Oxygen-free copper provide maximum's conductivity and durability)
[...]
(24k gold-plated connectors create precise contact for low signal loss)
Apart from gold plated cables avoiding/minimizing oxidation, I wouldn't give much credit to all that oxygen-free, what-have-you audiophile bullshit that will only disguise the fact that cheaper cables (around a tenner) with the afore-mentioned layer of <10-karat  gold (relatively cheap BTW) will suffice.
  • Last Edit: 27 October, 2017, 05:59:08 AM by includemeout
Listen to the music, not the media.

Reply #2
What reminds me that I've been the happy owner of one of those el cheapo gold plated cables since I first bought it on the UK high street store (Richers Sounds) a good decade and a half ago.
Pretty sure other folk might tell you theirs have gone a even higher mileage.
Listen to the music, not the media.

Reply #3
I can whole heartedly reccomend uGreen. Thier cables are good quality and I have used them all over the place. And as has been said already, don't fall for all the audiophile 'super mega ultra oxygen free, 1million purity ultra gold' bull.

• Porcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
3.5? If you plug in and out all the time, then (mechanical) durability may be a question.

I never had issues with Belkin (who have been around for > 30 years), except that companies that create fake reviews do annoy me. Years since that controversy though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belkin#Criticism .

Reply #5
With the exception of some exceptionally shoddily-made interconnects bought from Tandy (which shows you how long ago it was), I've never had a cable problem. I did spend a little extra on my speaker cables, to get a set with soldered-on* banana plugs instead of bare wire, but otherwise I don't use anything special.

Modern production techniques mean you can buy a well-made cable for very little these days.

*I used to have a soldering iron, so might have done the job myself (badly, no doubt), but I sat on it and snapped the handle. Not while it was plugged in, thankfully!

• DVDdoug
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
If you live in the U.S. I recommend Monoprice.   They sell good heavy-duty cables at low prices.   (I always order more than one cable because I don't want to pay more for the shipping than I pay for the cables).   

The cable/plug on the 3.5mm side is bulky so if space is tight, they also sell thinner, lighter-weight cables.

P.S.
I don't know if gold makes any difference...    I've probably had some corroded contacts, but they would have been very-old cables and you can just replace them.   The jack/socket on the equipment-side isn't so easy to replace so it might be more important there, and it may help having gold on both sides of the contact.   I'd say most of the time, bad contact is a mechanical problem (a broken or worn-out connector, or a wire being broken coming un-soldered from repeated bending/stressing).

Conductivity/resistance simply isn't an issue (unless the cable is broken).   Resistance can be an issue with long speaker wires, but reducing resistance is simply a matter of using fatter wires.   You don't need any exotic metals or special-expensive copper.
  • Last Edit: 27 October, 2017, 10:31:27 AM by DVDdoug

• francesco
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
I can whole heartedly reccomend uGreen. Thier cables are good quality and I have used them all over the place. And as has been said already, don't fall for all the audiophile 'super mega ultra oxygen free, 1million purity ultra gold' bull.
hi
so you find ugreen good cables even are cheap
thanks
3.5? If you plug in and out all the time, then (mechanical) durability may be a question.
I never had issues with Belkin (who have been around for > 30 years), except that companies that create fake reviews do annoy me. Years since that controversy though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belkin#Criticism .
hi yes it should be kept mostly plugged ,  about any issues even with the products i listed ,they are cheap (the point is for this price i can't belive they gold "patinated"
thanks
If you live in the U.S. I recommend Monoprice.  They sell good heavy-duty cables at low prices.  (I always order more than one cable because I don't want to pay more for the shipping than I pay for the cables).   
hi no ,i'm in europe
but i can find on amazon europe , they cost like  uGreen & Belkin
thanks
  • Last Edit: 27 October, 2017, 11:17:00 AM by francesco

• andy o
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Unfortunately Monoprice have fallen from grace as far as I'm concerned. I got some of their USB-C cables, and they look great, but were so terrible at voltage dropping that I had to return them. Great customer service though, they just let me keep them instead and refunded. After that, engineers Nathan K and "USB vigilante" Benson Leung (who works at Google doing USB-C stuff) tested them properly and found the same thing, rating them very poorly.

And looking back, the Lightning cables I bought from them are also wonky, charging much slower (this was before MFi though IIRC). Their audio cables might be simpler and less prone to failure, but I just don't trust them anymore.

I used to really like Blue Jeans Cable, but I haven't bought from them in years, and they do specialize in A/V.

• jjb70
  • [*]
Reply #9
I am amazed that stereo magazines still persist in joining the great cable scam, reinforcing the idea that spending $$$$$$$$'s on cables will transform sound. As has been pointed out, there are valid reasons why you may need to consider gauge for some cables. Personally I do think it is worth paying for cables with decent connectors and insulation but that is about durability and reliability, not sound quality and the cost uplift is trivial. I've found Belkin cables to be more than adequate, the Belkin cables I've bought have never had to be replaced and have been good, solid cables bought for modest cost.
I do wonder how some hifi journalists can sleep at night, one of the HiFi mags on sale in the UK this month reviews a £500 power cable and recommends it, yes the thing that comes free of charge with electrical equipment with a plug at one end and connector into the equipment at the other end of a short cable. Not once have I ever needed to replace one of the cables that has been supplied with equipment, in fact I've accumulated the things as I have an awful habit of keeping the cables when I throw out kettles and what not when they die. The idea that this item can transform sound is ludicrous, and the idea that paying £500 for it is completely bonkers yet magazines are still not only swallowing this nonsense but have the nerve to recommend them to readers. These people must be shameless.

• Nichttaub
  • [*][*]
Reply #10
I'm firmly on board with some form of gold plating for connectors.  Just this last week I've been re-assembling my stereo (long story having to do with the speakers needing to be refurbished, and swapping amplifiers - plus, it's a bi-amped system) and found several instances of poor connectivity between plugs and jacks.  In every case it's been a cheap un-plated steel connector with some oxidation; surprisingly, the effect has ranged from "no signal" to a very subtle loss of level.  In one case, re-seating the plug restored level for a while, then it started to slowly drop again.  Replacing all of them with my quality cables which were in storage resolved the issues.  Gold-on-gold plus a drop of Deoxit on the contact surfaces seems to be very stable over time.

I note that in no case did the connection exhibit a degradation of quality - just level.  At first, in each of the instances, I thought there was a pot misadjusted (I am setting levels as part of the process) or a piece of equipment misbehaving/broken, but it was always a bad cable.

I am interested in current good values for cables too, so any recommendations are welcomed.  My current set of quality interconnects is an interesting mix.  Oddly, Rat Shack did at one time sell a line of reasonably-priced gold plated cables (or maybe only some stores did) that were bargains when you caught them on closeout.  I have several of those, and since they have the screw-on shells I was able to open them and verify that they're reasonably rugged inside.  They also have the little coil spring thingies which help keep the cable from being bent sharply at the shell, and most usefully, a little O-ring on each channel color-coding them as to left or right.  I've never had a problem with these.

My other cables are (don't laugh) Monsters, which again I found on closeout somewhere at an acceptable price.  They have very solid metal shells, color-coded, and their cable is a little less stiff than the usual. They also seem to fit snugly but aren't impossible to seat/remove, unlike the Rat Shack cables which are a little on the tight side.  I barely paid more for them than for a cheap house brand cable, so it seemed a safe bet.  Again, they've worked fine for years.

I personally put Belkin in the same category as Monster and Mogami - modest construction and hideously overpriced.  Their computer cables are often displayed prominently in stores around here, and they are invariably 3x or more the cost of a well-made bargain cable.  I boycott them just based on their obscene profit margin.   ;D