Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Seeking an audio player for mac OSX (Read 9952 times) previous topic - next topic

Seeking an audio player for mac OSX

I have initially posted under Misc>Off-topic section but I thought that is probably an incorrect section and so will get less attention.

I am foobar fan.
But recently I have switched to mac.
I missed foobar's capability:
- media library from smb network (NAS)
- playlist based on folder view
Does anyone knows if there is any player for mac that can do above?
I have tried itunes, but I do not like the album/artist view.
My songs do not have proper tag/metadata so I prefer folder view.
Thank you in advance.

Re: Seeking an audio player for mac OSX

Reply #1
VOX, Clementine, DeadBeef, Tomahawk, Quad Libet, Cog, Pine, Musique... you have to try for yourself which one you like more, on the Mac I use MPV (IINA) even for music, I used VOX for a little bit but I can't find the time to deeply test others since each one has something I don't like, foobar2000 spoiled all of us I think.

Those listed are all free, there are many shareware as well.

Here is a good list, from a post on head-fi: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AgcI0HzsPocyU9HM4iiPp2klVcHk624iefRft36GM10/edit#gid=0

Reply #2
Thank you, I will try each of them and report back my experience with them.

Reply #3
Testing Pine (new version, since I tried the old one and there was something I don't remember that I didn't like) and Decibel right now, really like them, Decibel even more I think.

Re: Seeking an audio player for mac OSX.

Reply #4
There's foobar2000 in wine, if you can stand it.

Cog only has single playlist, and no media library, but it does have a folder tree panel you can point at any system path, including network shares, and it will remember which paths and subpaths you have expanded or collapsed across sessions.

Then there's DeaDBeeF, which also has a macOS build, but again, that doesn't have a media library, and the developer doesn't see any point in adding one, either. At least it has multiple playlists, though. And a ReplayGain scanner now, and tag editing.

Reply #5
Thank you.
What do you mean by "if you can stand it"?
Does it not work properly? Buggy?

For your information, I have actually created the same thread in the general audio section.
I hope you can help me close this and reply in the new thread here.

Reply #6
I have tried all the free apps and have found my ideal player, Musique.
It is the only one that have folder view library.
It suits my need.

Thank you.

Reply #7
After I have restarted my machine, I have lost the media library I have just created in Musique.
The source coming from NAS.
Does anyone knows why it had happened?
Any way to remedy this?

Reply #8
I beleive you have to mount your music folder from NAS permanently somehow.

Reply #9
Wine isn't a perfect solution. And most of the "easy" Wine distributions for macOS ceased to work when System Integrity Protection was introduced. The only exceptions are:

1) CrossOver (paid)
2) Wine installed in /usr/local/bin (symlinks) using Homebrew or MacPorts

The older Wine distributions may "magically" or more "mysteriously" work if a Homebrew or MacPorts build is installed in /usr/local/bin, but really only work if they're the same versions, and this is unlikely, as those older distributions also include much older Wine.

Reply #10
CrossOver works great for me.

Reply #11
I love the DeaDBeeF!
Apple  Macmini  Intel Core i5 (2.6 GHz)

Reply #12
Hello guys,
I'm a new guy for mac. I met a problem, my windows mediaplayer cant use yesterday. When I click the icon, it displayed a error message. When I clicked the send roport button, the mediaplayer will shut down automaticlly.

And how to make safari to play some online *.wmv files???

Reply #13
I beleive you have to mount your music folder from NAS permanently somehow.
I could not find a way to do this.
I tried "login items", it does not work as I hope.

For now, the only way to not lose the library is when I setup a media server using forked-daapd.
Then I use itunes to select this.
Unfortunately, in itunes there is no folder view.

Reply #14
You'll need to futz around with Wine to make foobar play WMA files. Or you can use Cog or DeaDBeeF, which use FFmpeg to support them somewhat.

And the Send Report function is intentionally disabled when running under Wine, because most crashes that happen under Wine are Wine's fault, not foobar's, so they tended to clutter the crash database.