Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sort the PLAYLIST TABS alphabetically (Read 1868 times) previous topic - next topic

Sort the PLAYLIST TABS alphabetically

Hi.
I have many playlist tabs opened. Is there a way to, automatically or with a (right click on a playlist tab) command, sort the PLAYLIST TABS alphabetically?
I'm not talking about the content of a playlist, just the playlist tabs themselves.
And I would like them to stay sorted alphabetically even if they are on multiple rows; instead foobar2000 puts in the lowest position the row of the tab I click on!

Re: Sort the PLAYLIST TABS alphabetically

Reply #1
I tried Playlist Organizer and SimPlaylist Manager but I didn't succeed to do nothing of all this, or maybe I didn't understand how they work.

For Playlist Organizer:
Sorting alphabetically or however change the order of THE LIST of playlists (and not the playlist tabs) with Playlist Organizer (View Menu -> Playlist Organizer), this is not reflected in the order of the playlist tabs.

For SimPlaylist Manager:
The wiki of SimPlaylist Manager, for example, says:
To prevent unintended changes, sorting by column headers is disabled. Hold shift when selecting the menu item to sort in reverse order.
Which is the sense of the presence of the function if it's disabled?  :-\

Reply #2
Trying to have sorted playlists with playlist tabs seems to be a pointless endeavour. Looking at the gif below, after I sort the playlists A-Z, notice how selecting different playlist tabs re-arranges the rows but does not change the order at all in the playlist manager window to the left.

Reply #3
How do you make appear that menu sort/shuffle to order the playlist manager frame?

To have the sorting of the list of the playlists, I'm using now the Playlist Organizer plugin, but why arranging the list (taking an element of the list and changing its position) doesn't reflect the arranging of the tabs, and viceversa? You know it?

I recognize that the list of playlists (the integrated Playlist Manager list or the Playlist Organizer's one) is a good expedient, provided that (at least in my idea of well-arranged layout) the list is always visibile and it just supersedes the tabs. I've just edited my layout in this way.

Well, now with my nearly 100 playlists opened, I don't have all the playlists in sight, although, and I have to scroll the list with the slider on the right... when instead the playlist tabs were always all well in sight. Tabs manually alphabetically ordered, task for me not so frustrating by itself, but made difficult by the "active row put in the last position" behaviour of foobar2000: this yes that is very frustrating... you try to keep in order something (yeah, maybe so big and so caotic, I know), and another changes your order. With 6 or 7 rows of tabs, for me this is tangible... when, for example, the 2nd row comes to life and decides to go, on his own, in the last, 7th, position!  :) :'(

Reply #4
I wish this feature could be had with a button or shortcut, too.  I've always preferred tabs to playlist dropdowns or menus, they optimize horizontal space, I feel.  To resort the tabs alphabetically you have to right click>Sort Playlists>Etc.  They're always getting out of order.  I use the Playlist Dropdown extension, too, right-clicking on it when I need to sort again.  Playlist Manager isn't listed anymore.  I've forgotten which extension provides the playlist tabs in the first place...