Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: library search became super slow (Read 1427 times) previous topic - next topic

library search became super slow

Hi!
I have updated fb2k recently from an older version (can't tell which one it was, 1.3.something I guess).
Previously the library search didn't do nothing until I press "Enter", but in newer versions it starts searching automatically. And becomes unresponsive for 10-15 sec, because searching a single letter is pretty stupidest idea, especially over many tens of thousands of media files.
Can I somehow circumvent this behavior or hope for a patch?

Re: library search became super slow

Reply #1
As far as I know library search has always been dynamic, even before v.1.00 Are you sure you're not confusing quicksearch (which isn't dynamic) with library search?

Reply #2
Thanks, you hinted me - that was "album list" tab, which though dynamic, is still fast! :)
Nonetheless searching for a letter is pointless, don't you all think?

Reply #3
I would like to have this search box require Enter to be pressed. It is a bit slow on my old computer with a complex formatting pattern (2000 symbols, lol). There is a delay before searching actually commences, but it is very short, and requires fast and precise typing, which I can't do under pressure of time. If I have to press backspace, then it searches and is appreciably slow.

Reply #4
I would wish for:
- option to set longer delay
- and even longer for deleting everything from the search box, which is the maximum number of hits.
- abort the search-and-sort process when another character is typed!. Now, deleting and retyping causes it to hang for a couple of seconds while it sorts the full library, and only then it accepts restrictions. See however next item.

More sophisticated:
- the sorting of the full library could be stored, so that it does not have to spend time collating every time the search box is cleared
- "complexity-dependent" delay: the more hits & less characters typed, the longer delay.

Reply #5
- and even longer for deleting everything from the search box, which is the maximum number of hits.
Only three: CTRL+A, DEL (with updating only after pressing DEL). But actually deleting is not even necessary. You can press CTRL+A and type the new search term without explicitly deleting the old term.

Reply #6
foo_quicksearch solves it, I think.
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Components/Quicksearch_UI_Element_(foo_quicksearch)

It supports type-ahead-find, but for some reason I do not find out how to enable it - no issue for those who want to disable it.
Create a toolbar, and configure a keyboard shortcut to bring you to it.

By the way, how do I configure a keyboard shortcut to bring me to the "ordinary" search UI element? Library / Search opens a new.

You can press CTRL+A and type the new search term without explicitly deleting the old term.
Good point. In practice, that is what I actually do most often, actually - but evidently I press Del too often. The first couple of characters still generate too many hits, but nowhere that many seconds. (Not a too powerful computer, it is fanless and downthrottled for the sake of the application.)