Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Malware (Read 2664 times) previous topic - next topic

Malware

I am a new member to the forum but not a new foobar user. I have created a few skins which I have uploaded to deviantart under user name kjc66 so I know a a bit about how foobar works. The issue I am having is that when I am using certain skins that I have downloaded, every time a song plays, malwarebytes Premium blocks an outgoing connection called survey-winner.net.

It only happens when a song begins to play and malwarebytes blocks the outgoing survey-winner.net twice, when the next tract plays it happens all over again. This is only related to foobar and to be clear the skins I download are extracted in a new portable installation. It is not malware on my system. I don't think it matters but I am using Windows 10 Pro.
An example of a skin that does this is SAPPHIRE iTech 1.11

Anyone else have experience with this and if so how have you dealt with it? Obviously I can keep allowing malwarebytes to block the connection or I can just not use the effected skins but there has to be a better solution. I have looked at files and settings but I am not the greatest with script and I cannot locate anything specific to survey-winner.net but I could be missing something.

Re: Malware

Reply #1
Are you downloading foobar2000 from http://www.foobar2000.org/ and then applying the skin or is the whole thing bundled?

Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
Yes, I download from  http://www.foobar2000.org/ and just extract the the skin into the foobar portable folder. I also have foobar installed on my system but for skins I download I like to place in a portable installation.

Reply #3
Probably best thing to do is contact the author like you have done. i wouldn't touch this skin with a barge pole, lots of outdated plugins.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #4
foo_uie_lyrics3 is making requests to a ip address blacklisted by Malwarebytes... Disabling "Online DB: lyrics.mirkforce.net" (at least with the version included in that skin, might be different in the latest Lyric show panel...) from the options stopped all connections to ip 184.172.106.42 in Wireshark.

The_Vern should remove that server from the component.
| QAAC ~ 192 kbps |

Reply #5
Thanks everyone. It was the foo_ui_lyrics3 that was the culprit. I removed the old version and installed the newer version which solved the problem.
Mr. Man Eating Duck your advice is sound. It is not really a skin I would use but I downloaded it so I can get an idea of how things are put together. I am trying to learn how to skin but so far all I learnt is that I suck.